simple 2d program

3strucking

Registered
Registered
I am in need of a simple, easy to learn program for drawing parts. I have played with fusion 360 but its way over my head. Am I forever doomed to paper and pencil?

Have a look at www.emachineshop.com
they give a cad programme for free that is VERY EASY TO LEARN and it even makes the designed part in 3d solid to have an idea of how it will look.
Since I downloaded it I use it instead of pen & paper for sketches and drawings.

I am an old coot, took drafting and mechanical drawing in the 60's, and studied architecture in the early '70's, when it was all pencil and vellum work. I remember being wowed by the first totally unaffordable HP electronic calculators, gee whiz! Anyway, I have tried multiple times to learn and use CAD, but find I get too caught up in the nuts and bolts of it to actually give my best efforts to the object itself. I am good at thinking spatially and doing most of the math in my head, so a simple quick sketch on a scrap of paper usually gets the project moving along. I do not find the old school approach limiting at all, rather enabling, but my history definitely plays into it. Of course, I only take on projects that fit my current tools and skills...

If you aren't using at least 2d CAD to assist in your projects you are really missing out. I presently use Draftsight, it's free to download and use. You have to pay to upgrade to Pro. There are tutorials on YouTube to get you started. It won't wack your computer either like some free programs can do. If you want to try it, do so, and tell us what you are frustrated with. Once you see how easy it is, it will make a new person out of ya

I wonder if a program like Adobe illustrator or the public domain variants would work for those not wanting full cad capabilities
It's vector drawing, so it is cad like, without all the finicky adding numerical
https://inkscape.org/en/
I haven't used it in some time, but it might be good for some.
Gimp
https://www.gimp.org
might be worth a try also, again, it's more a paint program, but it does have some line drawing capabilities.
The older I get, the less I want to mess around learning something new... but fission 360 does look interesting.

Back