Simple and inexpensive vise-based ring roller

brino

Confirmed Tool User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi All,

I had a project a while ago where I needed some metal rings.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/the-duct-tape-catamaran.79401/post-680110

I made this ring roller for that job, but hadn't got around to taking pictures, writing it up and presenting it here.
Yesterday I needed to use it again to make a heavy band clamp for my exhaust system so I took the time to finally get some pictures.

Here's the vise:
vise.jpg

and the original jaws:
vise_jaws.jpg

Here are the replacement jaws made of 1" x 3" solid bar, some 1/2"-20 nuts and bolts, some ball bearings a big nut and chunk of steel shaft as the solid roller.

roller_jaws1.jpg

ring roller jaws installed on vise:
roller_jaws_installed.jpg

The rear roller is just a chunk of shaft with a big nut welded on top as a way to drive it with a wrench.
That big nut was bored out on the lathe so the head of the bolt and a washer would fit inside....it also gives clearance for a socket during assembly.
roller.jpg

The nuts under the roller and the ball bearings are just jam nuts that are tightened against the bar to stop the bolts for turning while you're rolling.

Here's a couple more shots:
rollers2.jpg

rollers3.jpg

You can see that I countersunk the socket-head cap screw for the front jaw, but realized I did NOT need to for the back jaw as the front and rear rollers already overlap when the jaws are close together.

...and a few photos with a ruler to give rough size:

size1.jpg

size2.jpg

size3.jpg

I'll continue with a few more photos in a couple minutes......

-brino

Great adaptation @brino, I have a ring roller but the wheels are knurled so it marks the surface of the material.
I wonder if I could replace the wheels with bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great adaptation @brino, I have a ring roller but the wheels are knurled so it marks the surface of the material.
I wonder if I could replace the wheels with bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@DavidR8 you certainly can, replace the knurled wheels with bearings !!!

@brino nice work on the ring roller!!! :eagerness:

Sorry for the delay, I got the dinner bell before I was ready to post......

Here is rolling a piece of 1-1/2" x 1/8" steel strap:

rolling1.jpg

rolling2.jpg

rolling3.jpg

rolling4.jpg

rolling5.jpg

A couple points for use:

1) try to get the strap as close to horizontal as possible when you start, and watch as you hand crank it back and forth. Stop, remove, correct and replace if it gets going at an angle. If the rollers are farther apart at the top (as mine appear to be in the last picture of post #1) it will try to create a spiral. If it does start to spiral try removing it, flipping it over and putting it back. That will equalize the offset.

2) tighten the vise slowly, run the part as close as you can get to the ends both directions and then tighten a little again

3) calculate the circumference of the ring you need and cut it to length first; this way when the end line up you know that you're done.

4) as shown this may create short flats near each end as they "fall off" the bearings, but those can be bent roundish over an anvil horn or piece of pipe.

-brino

Last edited:
Nice tool there, brino.

I would like to see more details of your vise mounting scheme. It looks like something clever is going on there.

Additionally, regarding step 4) above, I usually have welded my rings closed, ground the welds flat and put it back in the roller to finish the flat ends. No hammering required.

I would like to see more details of your vise mounting scheme. It looks like something clever is going on there.

I installed this heavy welding bench a few years ago.
I got it from my father-in-law when he downsized his shop.
It is bolted to both the wall and into the concrete floor.

I added two 2" square receivers (think automotive towing), like this:
1616974626224.png
https://www.princessauto.com/en/class-ii-hitch-receiver-tubes/product/PA1000000638?skuId=8648552

One on the left side near the front(where the vise is right now), and one on the front of the bench near the right corner.
The second one could not go on the right-end of the bench due to interference with the roll-up door.
I really need that door open to use that one.

I currently have four tools that drop into those receivers:

1) the big vise as shown above!

2) a 12" hand shear like this:
1616974734890.png
https://www.princessauto.com/en/12-in-metal-hand-shear/product/PA0008096000

3) a "universal" bender like this:
1616974828208.png
https://www.princessauto.com/en/universal-metal-bender/product/PA0008714800

4) another bender of a different style:
1616974868882.png
https://www.princessauto.com/en/compact-floor-metal-bender/product/PA0008536625

That bench gives me the "immovable object" I need to really haul on those bender handles.

-brino

I have the same bender as the bottom photo. I sunk four wedge anchors into the floor and bolt it down when needed. I also use the bender stand as the base for the ring roller using an adapter plate.
I can't use my welding table for that kind of activity as it's on wheels.

I can't leave without making some reference to that super clean vise.

In what universe are vices that clean? or is that your special photo vice?

Lol, Nope not just a "photo vise"!
It does really get used for welding on that very bench.

I did buy it new a couple years ago, and I do try to make sure that I'm not permanently damaging it.
Luckily weld spatter seems to come off the jaws with a little scraping, and doesn't even stick to the painted body.
Most of the welding happens with stuff clamped down to the bench.

Also, I do try to wipe it down after use to keep any debris (from drilling, tapping, etc.) out of the works.
As shown I do have other ways of bending metal, and the hydraulic press does most of the high-stress stuff.

-brino

Back