[4]

Simple Carbide Grinder Question

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Hi guys,
I picked up this carbide grinder last week. As a newbie, please forgive my ignorance.

I notice how "regular" grinders have eye shields, yet carbide grinders do not.

Why is that?

Thanks,
Susan

20181108_223133.jpg

benmychree

John York
If the grinder has diamond wheels, there is no abrasive or grindings flying around, but, of course, eye protection is always advised.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Nice grinder !

Best guess it's because the wheels are well shielded and grinding carbide does not throw sparks like grinding a chunk of iron does.

Cadillac

Registered
To save you from having to take them off and Keep price down. :D Diamond wheels are solid so no chances of exploding. They are covered to some degree but your right theirs still a danger. What isn’t dangerous in the shop? :eagerness:

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
One might consider the hazard of breathing metals dust when grinding carbide material, A person can be exposed to cadmium, chromium, cobalt
and nickel quite unknowingly. The metal dust is invisible and quite harmful. Chromium-6 is another concern while grinding and is a known carcinogen.
Eye protection is prudent but lung protection demands consideration too.

4ssss

Registered
One might consider the hazard of breathing metals dust when grinding carbide material, A person can be exposed to cadmium, chromium, cobalt
and nickel quite unknowingly. The metal dust is invisible and quite harmful. Chromium-6 is another concern while grinding and is a known carcinogen.
Eye protection is prudent but lung protection demands consideration too.

That's why there is a coolant cup that goes with carbide grinders.

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
That's why there is a coolant cup that goes with carbide grinders.
I happen to have an extra Baldor water cup :) .
Since we are talking about carbide tool grinders, I noticed that in Baldor's brochures, and stock pics, the water cup has a brass tube coming out of it, yet, for all the carbide grinders, Baldor only lists a plain quenching pot under "parts," and they don't offer any cup with a tube coming out of it. Is the tube supposed to drip coolant onto the grinding wheel or is it supposed to drip water to keep airborne dust to a minimum? If anyone knows, please enlighten me / us :)
2018-11-09 13.33.42.png

4ssss

Registered
It drips coolant on the wheel

benmychree

John York
It kills both birds with one stone; dust and heat the cup can be easily tapped for 1/8" pipe thread, and a needle valve with 1/8 PT on one end and 1/4" compression tube fitting and a piece of 1/4" copper tube a few inches long completes the job.

ZombiWelder

Registered
Carbide is really no good for your lungs.
I haven't done it myself yet but I want to rig an attachment to my grinder to hook my shop vac as dust collection.

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Staff member
No guard needed on this style grinder . I had to discuss it with our safety manager at my last place of employment . You're grinding with the face of the wheel which is well shielded . You didn't say whether a diamond or silicon carbide wheel was being used . Safety glasses and a dust mask and you will be good to go ! Nice grinder by the way ! :encourage:

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
there is somewhat of a guard in line with rotation. With a regular bench grinder you are working the wheel directly in line with rotation and the grit often gets sucked around the wheel and around the guard only to exit again out the front. The older grinders with the vac connections didn't have that problem because the grit naturally exited there. I guess it's too hard to make the silly sheet metal guards on the new ones have that connection. I don't know how good any of the guards work if you have a wheel explode. The amount of force they exert is staggering. I keep a close eye on my bench grinders and don't let dummy's anywhere near them for their sake and mine. It's another advantage of being a one man shop. I stayed away from the bench grinders in the big shops I worked in because everybody abused and never maintained the bench grinders.

With my tool grinder I don't do a lot of material removal so don't use the drip setup but appreciate the coolant cup being right on top of the guard. Very handy. I also wear safety glasses and dust mask and always have it in the opening of the garage door with the fan on blowing out the shop.

Last edited:

westsailpat

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Wow , what a score Susan_in_SF , when I had my shop never did I acquire one of those babies . When I was working in OP's shops we used to run Kerosene in the cup but it was used only on the diamond wheel .

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Carbide is really no good for your lungs.
I haven't done it myself yet but I want to rig an attachment to my grinder to hook my shop vac as dust collection.
Hi ZombiWelder,
I am actually planning on building a metal dust collector / fume extractor. I already have my 12" wide aluminum impeller, and 26" tall nanofiber filter tube. I still haven't decided if I will use one if my inverter AC motors, or DC treadmill motors. My middle name is Overkill, btw

ZombiWelder

Registered
Hi ZombiWelder,
I am actually planning on building a metal dust collector / fume extractor. I already have my 12" wide aluminum impeller, and 26" tall nanofiber filter tube. I still haven't decided if I will use one if my inverter AC motors, or DC treadmill motors. My middle name is Overkill, btw
I do wood and metal work and yeah dealing with dust is extra important for me. I already have a raggedy boom arm that swings over my shop with electric cord and an air hose which is reaaaly convinient btw. Ideally I would have a dust hose with some sort of cone at the end that I could easily swing where I need it.

[6]
[5] [7]