Simple Carbide Grinder Question

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Registered
Hi guys,
I picked up this carbide grinder last week. As a newbie, please forgive my ignorance.

I notice how "regular" grinders have eye shields, yet carbide grinders do not.

Why is that?

Thanks,
Susan

20181108_223133.jpg

If the grinder has diamond wheels, there is no abrasive or grindings flying around, but, of course, eye protection is always advised.

Nice grinder !

Best guess it's because the wheels are well shielded and grinding carbide does not throw sparks like grinding a chunk of iron does.

To save you from having to take them off and Keep price down. :D Diamond wheels are solid so no chances of exploding. They are covered to some degree but your right theirs still a danger. What isn’t dangerous in the shop? :eagerness:

One might consider the hazard of breathing metals dust when grinding carbide material, A person can be exposed to cadmium, chromium, cobalt
and nickel quite unknowingly. The metal dust is invisible and quite harmful. Chromium-6 is another concern while grinding and is a known carcinogen.
Eye protection is prudent but lung protection demands consideration too.

One might consider the hazard of breathing metals dust when grinding carbide material, A person can be exposed to cadmium, chromium, cobalt
and nickel quite unknowingly. The metal dust is invisible and quite harmful. Chromium-6 is another concern while grinding and is a known carcinogen.
Eye protection is prudent but lung protection demands consideration too.

That's why there is a coolant cup that goes with carbide grinders.

That's why there is a coolant cup that goes with carbide grinders.
I happen to have an extra Baldor water cup :) .
Since we are talking about carbide tool grinders, I noticed that in Baldor's brochures, and stock pics, the water cup has a brass tube coming out of it, yet, for all the carbide grinders, Baldor only lists a plain quenching pot under "parts," and they don't offer any cup with a tube coming out of it. Is the tube supposed to drip coolant onto the grinding wheel or is it supposed to drip water to keep airborne dust to a minimum? If anyone knows, please enlighten me / us :)
2018-11-09 13.33.42.png

It kills both birds with one stone; dust and heat the cup can be easily tapped for 1/8" pipe thread, and a needle valve with 1/8 PT on one end and 1/4" compression tube fitting and a piece of 1/4" copper tube a few inches long completes the job.

Back