Simple Carbide Grinder Question

No guard needed on this style grinder . I had to discuss it with our safety manager at my last place of employment . You're grinding with the face of the wheel which is well shielded . You didn't say whether a diamond or silicon carbide wheel was being used . Safety glasses and a dust mask and you will be good to go ! Nice grinder by the way ! :encourage:

there is somewhat of a guard in line with rotation. With a regular bench grinder you are working the wheel directly in line with rotation and the grit often gets sucked around the wheel and around the guard only to exit again out the front. The older grinders with the vac connections didn't have that problem because the grit naturally exited there. I guess it's too hard to make the silly sheet metal guards on the new ones have that connection. I don't know how good any of the guards work if you have a wheel explode. The amount of force they exert is staggering. I keep a close eye on my bench grinders and don't let dummy's anywhere near them for their sake and mine. It's another advantage of being a one man shop. I stayed away from the bench grinders in the big shops I worked in because everybody abused and never maintained the bench grinders.

With my tool grinder I don't do a lot of material removal so don't use the drip setup but appreciate the coolant cup being right on top of the guard. Very handy. I also wear safety glasses and dust mask and always have it in the opening of the garage door with the fan on blowing out the shop.

Last edited:
Wow , what a score Susan_in_SF , when I had my shop never did I acquire one of those babies . When I was working in OP's shops we used to run Kerosene in the cup but it was used only on the diamond wheel .

Carbide is really no good for your lungs.
I haven't done it myself yet but I want to rig an attachment to my grinder to hook my shop vac as dust collection.
Hi ZombiWelder,
I am actually planning on building a metal dust collector / fume extractor. I already have my 12" wide aluminum impeller, and 26" tall nanofiber filter tube. I still haven't decided if I will use one if my inverter AC motors, or DC treadmill motors. My middle name is Overkill, btw

Hi ZombiWelder,
I am actually planning on building a metal dust collector / fume extractor. I already have my 12" wide aluminum impeller, and 26" tall nanofiber filter tube. I still haven't decided if I will use one if my inverter AC motors, or DC treadmill motors. My middle name is Overkill, btw
I do wood and metal work and yeah dealing with dust is extra important for me. I already have a raggedy boom arm that swings over my shop with electric cord and an air hose which is reaaaly convinient btw. Ideally I would have a dust hose with some sort of cone at the end that I could easily swing where I need it.

Back