Simple FreeCAD toolchain project

I just downloaded it about 2 weeks ago, so I figure I have a pretty recent one. The about-config reports it is a version 19( git 24291), so no idea if thats the most recent one.

I shied away from the forums due to seeing some pretty awful responses to people making suggestions, it seemed to me the developers were unwelcoming of suggestions/changes.
This is the same that I have. I just checked the website, and it is the one that I have.

I posted a question to the forums, and I received some arrogant comments. I am very familiar with this kind of stuff, since I am in the biz. I just answered any questions politely and thoroughly. Usually, the nasty comments were a result of something unclear in my original message. There is a complaint about the missing or unclear part of the question, usually followed by an attack on your sloppiness or carelessness. Ignore any personal comments, that's just the way people are in the biz. Get right to the point and work the issue out. Often, the attacker will shut up as soon as you clarify the answer, since he has lost face, but your increased level of credibility moves you up in the food chain and you have a better chance to get what you want.

I just asked the question in the freecad forum. Indeed, I did receive an attack. But someone else, apparently higher up in the food chain responded. He even fixed the problem in my FCstd file. Apparently, it is too difficult to compute a tool path on this funny trapezoid shape in the nose. It is much simpler to consider it as a rectangle and allow the tool to cut extraneous paths outside the boundary. But this doesn't work due to the fact that the "Boundary Enforcement" box is checked by default. And, here is the error:

15:59:49 Failed to create offset face.

15:59:49 PathSurface.ERROR: Failed to pre-process model and/or selected face(s).

15:59:49 3D Surface operation time is 0.00413 sec.

This is cryptic, but to a developer, it has a very clear interpretation. Anyway, I unchecked the box, and it worked perfectly. I must return to show my gratitude.

Yes, you have to be concise and clear with your questions and give them the details of the version you are using.

I never had a problem with nasty comments or attacks. Like I said, I worked with the developer to fix my issue. I gave him my FCStd file and he saw the problem and fixed it.

Well, at least I got it working. This was the "pipecleaner" run. It will have to be smooth and straightforward enough for beginners to run in a makerspace. Although I'm in charge of bringing up all the machines, some of which are pretty complex, there are a lot of moving parts and strong wills running around. We have to keep our expectations realistic else nothing will get running.

Back