Simple Mill Vise Mod.

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just got this in an email from PM, thought it was worth sharing.

"Some folks might think this is the ultimate denigration of a mill vise, but the addition of a drilled and tapped hole on the stationary jaw side allows for a stud and strap clamp to provide extra down-holding force for unusual shapes."

Photo 1

Whaa?

I see no reason to do this. One could simply use the table with the same clamp. Also, the
vise jaws are some very hard material that would be difficult to drill and tap. It's not on my to do list.
If one needs more hold down pressure, the vise is defective.

Just got this in an email from PM, thought it was worth sharing.

"Some folks might think this is the ultimate denigration of a mill vise, but the addition of a drilled and tapped hole on the stationary jaw side allows for a stud and strap clamp to provide extra down-holding force for unusual shapes."

Photo 1
There is a smart guy there! The stepped jaws are also awesome! Thanks for sharing. I have 3 1/2x13 drilled holes in my dynamic jaw but having some in the stationary jaw would be better.

There is a smart guy there! The stepped jaws are also awesome! Thanks for sharing. I have 3 1/2x13 drilled holes in my dynamic jaw but having some in the stationary jaw would be better.

My import vise has those same stepped jaws. They are very useful, but can be a pain when trying to hold small parts. I can't hold a 1/2" wide part on the steps. They should be less than 1/8" wide, like a parallel.

My import vise has those same stepped jaws. They are very useful, but can be a pain when trying to hold small parts. I can't hold a 1/2" wide part on the steps. They should be less than 1/8" wide, like a parallel.
My buddy who knows stuff suggested even thinner... I have been scared to go after my hardened Yuasa jaws with a carbide endmill but he gave me speeds and feeds to do it... I need a surface grinder! Do you know where I might fi one? :p

My import vise has those same stepped jaws. They are very useful, but can be a pain when trying to hold small parts.

When I replaced the hardened kurt vise jaws with aluminum ones, I milled a dovetail instead of a step (open jaws to precise width of the dovetail cutter, zero the Y-axis, then you can easily take an equal amount of both sides). I don't recall where I came across that trick (possibly here?), but the dovetail acts a bit like a mitee-bite on thick stock, and works a treat on the thin stuff.

Back