Simple Rotary Table

Gorgeous. What metal did you use? What's the diameter? How did work out your hole spacing?

CHuck the grumpy old guy.

I used an aluminum plate 3.5 X 0.250 X 12" long I had left over from another project. I was able to get all three out of this one piece.
The small holes were made with a center drill and then an end mill for the cutouts all done on my CNC mill. I would hate to think how I would have done it accurately on a manual mill.

Thanks

Ray

Well this took the better part of a day to make and I am not satisfied with the results.
So here are the fingers for now.

s15.jpg

And here they are mounted

s16.jpg

Thanks for looking

Ray

Looks great Ray. Very cool project.

Is the threaded "worm" gear steel? Having made several equatorial telescope mounts and tracking drives for Dobson telescopes I have found that brass/steel, brass/aluminum. brass/brass, brass/HDPE and Steel HDPE work well for worm drives. Steel on aluminum needs good lubrication to keep from galling.

Well that remains to be seen as the worm wheel is aluminum with a steel worm.
I will keep an eye on it for excessive wear.
If it proves to be a problem I can make one from brass or steel and replace the aluminum one.
Thanks for the heads up.

Ray

Aluminum has arrived!
I had ordered two plates 6 X 1 so if I messed up the first one I would have another chance to make it right but I didn't need it. The plate turned out right the first time and now I have a garbage bag full of aluminum chips.
The top section of the plate is 6" X 5/8" thick. I originally wanted it to be 3/4" thick but that didn't leave much room above the worm brackets but by making it thinner I was able to press the plate further on to the spindle. So all is well.

s17.jpg

s18.jpg

s19.jpg

I changed the finger lock so it would hold position without tipping the outer finger. I found a brass nut for the fingers to replace the plastic one. I also shined up some of the pieces.
Here it is so far.
s20.jpg

Thanks for looking

Ray

Well that remains to be seen as the worm wheel is aluminum with a steel worm.
I will keep an eye on it for excessive wear.
If it proves to be a problem I can make one from brass or steel and replace the aluminum one.
Thanks for the heads up.

Ray
No problem, been there done that.

Also in precision applications the where the worm gear is turning or supporting a load there is usually some type of thrust bearing(s) or AC bearings because the worm wheel is applying an axial force to the worm gear. If you are just indexing and locking the table then it is not as much of an issue.

I agree the worm setup made here is not for high torque applications rather index and then lock.

Thanks
Ray

The small parts take the most time and sometimes you need to even start over.
Here are the parts for the lock I made.

s21.jpg

This shows them mounted. I do not like that black knob it has to go, later.

s22.jpg

Here are the parts for the worm shaft brake and a pin to lock the table horizontal or vertical position.
I will just use a protractor to set the table at any other angle when needed.

s24.jpg

Table lock pin for horizontal position. The hole for vertical is on the other side.

s23.jpg

More tomorrow.

Thanks for looking

Ray

This picture shows how the table brake is assembled. It pushes against the table spindle land above the worm wheel.
s25.jpg

This is how I cut the divisions using the bed of my lathe. I messed up on the first try so I cut them off and had another go.
360 marks of different lengths was quite a job but I only made a couple of minor oops.

s26.jpg

After a little bit of sanding than a coat of paint. (wife's finger nail polish)
s27.jpg

This is the result.

s28.jpg

They are not all perfect but they turned out better than I had hoped.
I don't think I will try to number them now as that never turns out very well for me and I am not sure it is needed.
The long lines are 90 degrees apart and the next shorter ones are every 5 degrees. It should be easy enough to figure out.

Thanks for the likes everyone and thanks for looking.
Ray

Back