Simple Toolholder Rack

springer

Active User
Registered
So I needed a better way to keep my extra tool holders ready for use but not sitting on the bench next to the machine. Had some extra material laying around so I built this. Prolly build a couple more since I ordered a dozen more tool holders but wanted to get this first one done to see if I like it. And I do, simple but effective and keeps them inches away from where I need them.

Few pictures and short clips of the process, got to use my vacuum plate and really happy with how well it holds.
20210411_151545.jpg

20210411_171608.jpg

20210411_172031.jpg

20210411_172402.jpg

After machining the end brackets with .02 axial stock left for the vacuum chuck holding, I got balzy and tried to contour down the .005 axial left to see if I could just break the parts out when I was done. Didn't work, but nothing catastrophic, just lifted the part and I stopped the machine.

20210411_172900.jpg

Couple of short, boring but maybe interesting to some videos...

And finally, the finished piece.

20210420_180536.jpg

Count me jealous of the Fadal - nice work.

Who makes that endmill? Coating is interesting.

The one cutting aluminum is a yg-1 polished, super sharp with no coating. I think that what I used on the delrin but I can't remember 100%

The one cutting aluminum is a yg-1 polished, super sharp with no coating. I think that what I used on the delrin but I can't remember 100%
Huh. The one in the tool rack in the last picture is uncoated? Looks like the DLC coating for aluminum. Either way, sweet tools and machine.

Oh sweet! Thanks for the link.

I've been using the YG1 ALU-Power endmills and love them. I might try that one too!

Yea I like the yg-1 also. Oddly, I started getting better finish from the kennemetal KOR5 and for roughing, that thing just purrs away as it throws chips across the table

Back