SIMPLE WAY TO CHECK FOR TWIST OR ALIGNNG A LATHE BED

Richard King 2

Master Machine Tool Rebuilder & Instructor
Former Member
Here is a simple way to check to see if your lathe has a twist in the bed. New machines made in Asia can be adjusted if the bed is not twisted and still cuts a taper. If your headstock is sitting on 2 flat ways then you can adjust your headstock to remove a taper if the bed is aligned (leveled with no twist)

I set the level on top of the cross-slide and don't screw with setting it on 1 2 3 blocks or gage blocks. Most machines made today the cross-slide is ground flat, so you can set a level on there and either adjust the leveling screws so the level reads level or you can slide a shim-stock under one side to make the level read level. You start the process with the saddle as close to the chuck as possible. Put equal pressure on all the leveling screws and they are on leveling plates then crank the saddle down the bed and stop near the tailstock that you have moved to the far right or taken of the machine. Then adjust the leveling screws so the level reads good, Then repeat a few times until it is good. If the cross-slide is not flat you can set a parallel of top of the wings of the saddle and set the level on it. Here is a great booklet of leveling a lathe. Figure 8 shows what I mean. When you do it this way you are adjusting the ways to follow the tool bit path. I need to scoot as I have a DR appointment. I will write more later. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2104/3558.pdf

Back