Single Action Revolver Question, Help

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
Got a question, does anyone know or have an idea on how to machine the recoil shields on a single action? what type of cutter was used and how did they use it? Or would anyone have an idea on how to do it? I've been thinking of using a 1/2 inch radius cutter, any ideas??

If your talking about the original shield I'm sure they are investment cast, if you want to scallop yours I think most folks use mills although one gentleman told me he used a file. If it were me I'd JB weld the loading gate and using a left hand cutter use my downfeed and move my table till I was happy. Suppose I could mount it upside down and use a standard endmill, I would want my cutter to push my loading gate in not trying to pull it open.

The original was never investment cast. It would have been forged, then machined and finally hand fitted.

Planeflyer, that was very helpful, I would appreciate anyone else out there with any input???? and thanks to all that have replied thus far, looking forward to more.

What are you trying to do? The shield is a piece of metal shaped in a specific way. Must be dozens of methods for that. What fits your needs and ability?

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well I'm going to build a SAA on just a little larger scale than the original. I've all the equipment I need and know how to use it. Been thinking about it for quite awhile and researching it all. No investment cast stuff, all machined and milled. Got the cylinder mostly thought out and have done a few prototypes except for the ratchet pads and the cylinder stops and got all the rest figured out and done at least once. The videos in the above post were very helpful for the frame part. I wish she had showed how to cut the ratchet pads for the hand and the cylinder stops. I've been thinking of using a dovetail cutter and turn the cylinder on its side and cut the ratchet pads, just have to figure out the exact locations. So that is about it....anyone got any ideas of the pads or cylinder stops for a way to correctly locate them or maybe even a video. Any help would be appreciated.

The blueprints are available to purchase online.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

I know that Ruger DOES investment casts theirs. At the Baltimore gun show,I saw a guy selling blank Colt single action frames. They had a seam down their middles. But,they had rough surfaces as if they had been very rusty and cleaned off. I only took a brief look. Was unable to tell if they were cast or forged with the surfaces being so rough.

I don't know how they did it. However, depending on the model of gun you are working on, there might be some information to be gleaned form Jerry Kuhnhausen's books if you have one of the specific models he wrote shop manuals on.

Back