Single belt on PM1236

digadv

Registered
Registered
Hi Folks,

I'm replacing my factory belts with link belts but my local store only had one in stock. Any issues with running a single belt instead of two belts? I imagine I'll lose a bit of power to the gearhead but other than that, will is screw anything up?

Thanks!

I ran my lathe (13x40) with a single belt for a few years until I got around to replacing with a matched pair. No problems unless you are taking really heavy cuts near the capacity of the lathe. Won't hurt the lathe, but the single belt might slip.

I have been using my PM1236 with a single link belt for over 3 years.
No issues at all. In fact, I experienced more vibrations with 2 than with 1. For some reason, the tension was uneven on the 2 & 1 of them flopped quite a bit.

Best to you,
Jerry in Delaware

Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping to reduce my vibration as well so maybe the single belt will help.

Welcome to H-M,
I have the same issue with equal tension between the belts on my PM1236. I was experiencing considerable vibration. The pulleys on mine are off between the groves, different diameters. Matt recently sent me new pulleys but I haven’t had time to replace them. I’ve been running one belt for several months, it definitely is smoother running but I can tell I’m not running at full power with one belt. I would like to change to a single B belt setup when I get around to a VFD control upgrade. I will loose the mechanical brake but can make up for it with the braking circuits in the VFD.
Its my understanding that the link belts are directional. I have not used them. Do you run your machine in both directions?

Interesting that your pulleys were different diameters. I'll have to check mine to see if that's adding to the vibration problem.

I run the lathe in the "normal" direction 99% of the time and did not realize link belts were directional. But I guess it makes sense based on their linkage mechanism. My belt does not have any arrow markings nor do the instructions indicate any directional installation. After some brief research, I did see one vendor of these belts indicate running the belt in reverse was acceptable as long as the spindle came to a full stop.

I do power tapping and other tasks, running the mills, drill presses and lathe in reverse, using link belts, with no problems

Back