Single Oscillator Simple Engine

Just realized I forgot to include the collar - formerly the thumb nut. I'll update the drawings when I get a chance.

Hi rleete,

I noticed you specified brass for the main bearing; the original plans had bronze, which I think makes sense. I made mine from brass, because I had no bronze available, but this is going to be replaced some time in the future.

José

Yeah, the original said bronze. But, I doubt many people starting out have any bronze, much less enough for 8-10 engines. I think I've only cut bronze once, and that was for a much larger engine. Brass wears quicker, but I don't think it will be a factor for any small engine like this. I have a rocker with a brass shaft and brass bushing/bearing, and it's been run quite a bit with no noticable wear.

I don't think bronze is necessary, and didn't want to exclude anyone who might not have materials on hand or readily (cheaply) available. Mostly, the whole thing could be made from aluminum with steel for the flywheel and brass for the bearing (it's actually a bushing), and have it all work just fine. Naturally, if anyone wants to substitute materials for the team build they can always ask. Making one for yourself? Whatever you have handy will work.

Ok, so where are we at right now? Itching to get started on what ever it is that gets thrown my way. ;)
Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
While brass would look the best, both price and weight (shipping) might have us lean toward aluminum. I have lots of aluminum and steel, but I'd have to take time off work to track down brass.

I guess I should update my profile so you know what equipment I have available. Make allocating parts easier.

Mike

Last edited:
Back