Single Phase Motor Problem

After a bunch of googling, I have pretty much struck out on getting a replacement online. The motor shaft diameter is 21mm which is apparently unusual. Watch for an email.

Thanks again for all the help.

The device Mike referred to is called a PTC or positive temperature coefficient motor starter. A special type of thermistor in which the resistance goes up with heat. Old tv sets had a similar device in the degaussing circuit
-Mark
P.S. I believe there is a second type that uses an actual relay with some electronics added, in a little box or module

Last edited:
The device Mike referred to is called a PTC or positive temperature coefficient motor starter
Interesting. And these devices do the same thing as I guess old-school centrifugal start switch but in a solid-state way? Is that what new motors use, or are there certain applications that do or do not call for them?

-frank

Yes, and sometimes. Some new motors still use the old-fashioned switch, cuz it's cheap and fairly reliable. Large motors tend to be 3-phase; no switches needed
I don't know which would survive more starts: the centrifugal or the solid state. Haven't seen that data- you still have a start capacitor with it's own failure modes however

Last edited:
here is how it is done, (i think :grin:)

Back