Single phase or three phase?

Mans Racing

Registered
Registered
I’m thinking about purchasing a new Lathe and it is available in both single and three phase.In my shop I have single phase power only.Is it better to use a three phase unit with a phase converter or just order single phase unit and be done with it?
Thanks

3 phase is supposed to be a lot more efficient... you get more power with less energy used. Or so I hear... I'm no electrical genius, so I just go by what I'm told.

-Bear

Three phase allows for simpler motors—no starter caps, etc. Any efficiency gain, however, is going to be wiped out by the VFD. However, unless you're running a full time machine shop, I doubt that matters. The real advantage is being able to fine-tune the lathe speed without stopping and changing gears.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Get three phase. The motors are more robust and have less to go bad. They run smoother. You can hook up a rotary phase converter to make it run, or a VFD to make it run and do a lot of other good stuff. I say go for the VFD unless you plan to be running other 3 phase equipment as well and don't care about the bells and whistles.

with high relative quality and low relative price, the VFD and a 3 phase motor is the way to go
surface finish greatly improves when 3 phase motors are used
you'll be omitting the lathes OEM motor control system, but it is pretty easy to add features you may wish

Back