Single point cutting at 60 degree compound.

Todd Adams

Registered
Registered
I haven't received my new lathe yet, but have been studying every nite in preperation.
If you set the compound at 60 degrees and advance the compound on every cut, wouldn't that position the cutting tool closer to the chuck creating a wider valley every time you go deeper? I'm missing something. I would think you would want to go parallel with the chuck, straight in. Confused.

I haven't received my new lathe yet, but have been studying every nite in preperation.
If you set the compound at 60 degrees and advance the compound on every cut, wouldn't that position the cutting tool closer to the chuck creating a wider valley every time you go deeper? I'm missing something. I would think you would want to go parallel with the chuck, straight in. Confused.
I believe that it does cut to one side to help ease the cut of the thread forming tool. Some will just go straight into thread with the cross slide on smaller threads. Also for my lathe the compound is set for 29.5 degrees, yours maybe different. I am still a newbie to machining as well.

Some lathes mark the degrees for the compound from a different zero point, but the compound should be 30 degrees off of straight in, to the right for RH threads and to the Left for LH threads. Some folks do the 29 1/2 deg. thing, that is not what I have done now since about 1962.

Since the tool follows the flank of the thread it cannot be any wider than the tool bit unless you keep missing the mark on pulling out of the cut.

Back