Single Point Threading First Time

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys my up coming project which is stud for my tool post.So I will need to cut threads on both ends of the 9/16 rod.Ok never done any threading before so over last few days been watching You Tube on how to thread.After watching several I am planning on piece of aluminum first then onto the real piece of material.But after watching those You tubes about setting up doing what is needed and I think I understand but I came across another You Tube that makes threading look easy and no blood psi medicine.The You Tube is by Joe Pieczynski where you turn the threading tool upside down and run lathe in reverse,and you don't adjust the compound slide you only adjust the cross slide.OK this is fantastic,but I'm a newbie and this seems to easy so I was wondering if other have tried his method of threading.Did you like or dislike threading in reverse?Pro/Cons if there is any?If you haven't seen it here's a link

I'm thinking it might be easier to do it first the "regular" way so you can see more clearly how it's cutting- ?
Try it both ways and see which one you like better

The only con I can think of is the lack of visibility of the cut as it progresses. You get used to it, I imagine.

The man who taught me to run a lathe showed us how to do this to cut right hand threads but he also taught us that sometimes it was easier just to cut a left hand thread if you were going to a hard stop. That really only works if you are working from the ground up and a left hand thread won't loosen from the action of the part. And when you look at products in the real world, if you see a left hand thread there are really only 2 reasons to do a left hand thread. You have to, because of the loosening issue with a right hand thread or because doing it that way is easier. You really don't see too many of them because it is easier, unless the engineer is also the maker and knows he can use left handed threads to make his life easier.

I think a lot of the dislike of left hand threads comes from calling them left hand threads. Left handed is an oddball in the world, really, if there were no lefties would we really even notice? But counter clockwise threads can really be useful and in some cases you can't make something work without them. They make sense, sometimes.

FYI cutting a "LEFT Hand" thread and doing what the OP is asking (cutting a thread upside down going from left to right.....which is just a different way of cutting a regular thread) are 2 completely different things done for completely different reasons and should Not be confused with each other.

The con of threading from left to right as shown in the video is if you are threading close to a shoulder with a very narrow thread relief or none at all. If you miss your mark on the thread dial when engaging the half nut you'll fubar your thread. Especially if you are threading at a higher RPM or a very coarse thread, the thread dial will be spinning fast so you'll need to make no mistakes when engaging the half nut. When threading conventionally (from right to left) you can start far away from the work piece & reset if you did happen to miss the mark on the thread dial.

Also if threading without using the half nut (as in engaged all the time, reversing the spindle to bring the carriage back), threading from left to right can be tricky with a small thread relief or impossible with no thread relief at all.

I prefer to thread conventionally from right to left. Many times my thread relief is only 1/16" wide for an oring or no thread relief at all.

Guys my up coming project which is stud for my tool post.So I will need to cut threads on both ends of the 9/16 rod.Ok never done any threading before so over last few days been watching You Tube on how to thread.After watching several I am planning on piece of aluminum first then onto the real piece of material.But after watching those You tubes about setting up doing what is needed and I think I understand but I came across another You Tube that makes threading look easy and no blood psi medicine.The You Tube is by Joe Pieczynski where you turn the threading tool upside down and run lathe in reverse,and you don't adjust the compound slide you only adjust the cross slide.OK this is fantastic,but I'm a newbie and this seems to easy so I was wondering if other have tried his method of threading.Did you like or dislike threading in reverse?Pro/Cons if there is any?If you haven't seen it here's a link
You are over thinking it. Just study how, then do some dry runs with the tool not engaged with the work (just clear of the work) until you get the muscle memory and are confident, and then cut metal.

FYI cutting a "LEFT Hand" thread and doing what the OP is asking (cutting a thread upside down going from left to right.....which is just a different way of cutting a regular thread) are 2 completely different things done for completely different reasons and should Not be confused with each other.
I realize that, but they are both using the tool moving away from the headstock. In a lot of builds you could make life easier by using a left handed thread. I imagine you could crash into the tailstock but you would have to be pretty inattentive.
Those are fightin' words...
Be careful there, Lon...
It only hurts because it is true. But it was said entirely in jest. But unless you are left handed, if tomorrow you saw no one who was left handed ever again, you would never notice. On the flip side, if everyone you ran into was left handed, you would absolutely notice. Unless of course you are of the type to run the carriage into the tailstock,

Reverse threading is an excellent technique provided your lathe doesn’t have screw-on chucks, which mine does. It’s too easy for the chuck to loosen and ruin the thread so I only use the technique when I absolutely have to, and I watch the chuck like a hawk. If I’m threading to a shoulder I create an undercut of about 1.5 x pitch in length, this gives me enough reaction time to disengage the leadscrew.

Mal
AKA The Felsted Skiver

Back