Sink organizer

09kevin

Forum Guest
Register Today
My wife was looking for something to keep the kitchen sink organized but didn't find anything she liked. I ended up printing this. It is the largest print I have done so far, it took 12 hours to print. I used heat-set inserts because I didn't think threads in the plastic would hold up very long. This was my first time using the inserts and they are fairly easy to install, if interested there are videos on how to install them on YouTube.

Fusion 360
Fusion sink.PNG

Finished print
Sink.jpg

Heat-set inserts
Insert.jpg
sink3.jpg

clamped on the faucet
sink1.jpg
sink2.jpg

Kevin

Looks very nice. Well done. It is nice to be able to make such items.

The heat set inserts are good. I think for this project you have sufficient depth for the plastic to hold. I would have printed with a hole the minor diameter of the thread and then tapped.

Great project and thanks for sharing it!

What material did you print with?

I am very interested to know how long regular old PLA would hold up in such a use. PLA is apparently considered biodegradable and is made from corn starch or sugar cane.

....and as long as we're talking materials what are the inserts and the screws you used?
Are brass or stainless inserts available?

Thanks,
-brino

I did use PLA so hopefully it last a few years until we move or the wife may get upset :chunky:. I used stainless screws and I believe the inserts are brass.

I need to get or make an enclosure so I can print ABS without it warping. Do you have an enclosure for your Taz?

Kevin

I need to get or make an enclosure so I can print ABS without it warping. Do you have an enclosure for your Taz?

Another option is PETG. I have a spool but have not opened this yet, since it will absorb moisture once opened so then needs to be dried in the oven prior to printing.

I am working on a "dry box" to keep the moisture level low while the filament is being used.

Another option is PETG. I have a spool but have not opened this yet, since it will absorb moisture once opened so then needs to be dried in the oven prior to printing.

I am working on a "dry box" to keep the moisture level low while the filament is being used.

I am still learning about materials for different applications. I assumed 3d printing would be fairly easy but there is lots to learn :chunky:. Even though it can be frustrating, I definitely enjoy it.

Kevin

That should get you some "ataboys".

Do you have an enclosure for your Taz?

No not yet.....and I really should print some spare parts for the machine out of ABS _before_ I need them.
I have the filament, just not the free time.

I have also hear conflicting opinions on enclosures for ABS..... all the way from "good results with no enclosure", thru just a simple "tent" around the machine, to absolutely requiring a heated enclosure.

My first thought was to try a simple tent using dowel and vapour barrier plastic sheet. In fact, I have already printed a number of dowel connectors from PLA to try it. Like this:

1524359788012.png

After seeing how robust those were I thought how it would be easy to make a big box kite from them.........so many projects!

-brino

missed a few:

I did use PLA so hopefully it last a few years

I bet it will too, I just have no experience using it like that and would appreciate knowing anything you learn.

I used stainless screws and I believe the inserts are brass.

Great choices all around!
It looks slick.

-brino

Back