Six Months Retired, I’m struggling.

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I didn’t think it would happen to me!
Every day is the same, I’m struggling because I don’t have a project.
Co-workers aren’t coming to me asking me to fix this or fabricate that.
I miss my buddies at work.

I looked into steam engine kits, meh. Nothing feels right.
I’m sure this is probably normal but man, it’s not easy.

The weeds are gone, the house is painted, the gutters are clean, the cars are washed and waxed, the trailer is serviced, the lawn mower is ready to go, the lathe just got new oil. Yeah, I’m at that point.

What are you guys doing?

I haven't hit that point yet. I have at least another two years of projects on the current list.

One thing I did have to put effort into was finding new friends, as my retirement involved moving to a different state. I'm not the most social person in the world, but I do enjoy having a few like-minded folks to bounce things off of.

Is there a cause that’s near and dear to you? Maybe volunteer somewhere?

My dad worked away from home during the week and retired at 55 at which point he tucked into all of the things he wasn’t able to do while working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the feeling! Winter is especially bad. Now that spring has reached here, I've started a small garden. I still go to my old business and do repairs when needed. I've got my metal hobby set up there. Recent project has been teaching my daughter machining on the mill. We are making a robotic project and I'm doing show & tell and then letting her do it. She's doing better than I expected.

I have no idea how that would feel. For every project I finally get off my list I’m not joking it’s replaced by at least 3. Feels like 10 more most times. I’m so far behind I tried to make a list and it just got me overwhelmed. Guess I’m just not as efficient.

Most of my long days are taken up by gottado’s while my wannado’s wait, and seemingly multiply.

My best half decided she couldn’t put off the eminent remodel and went for it. Besides blowing up my life with construction for 2mo it has generated a endless boatload of landscape projects not to mention the finish work that I volunteered to do to save us $$.

Back