Six Months Retired, I’m struggling.

Learning to fly is a wonderful adventure. Even just radio controlled airplanes is a great, addictive hobby. If you are technology minded, amateur (ham) radio is still going strong. Some of my friends love bicycle touring. Others are obsessed with golf or bridge or sailing. I think having multiple hobbies and interests is key. If you concentrate on just one you will eventually become disillusioned with it.

I occasionally miss work, but then I think of all the 7 a.m. production meetings that I attended where we fought with each other bitterly over whatever was behind schedule that day. I am more than happy to be done with it.

Another thought - although it is more challenging to do later in life - learn a musical instrument and find a local amateur band. I know of a few who have done this and love it. In each case they returned to an instrument that they started in their youth.

I explored teaching calculus at a local community college. I attended a few classes that were taught by a friend. I decided that dealing with 19-year-olds was not for me, but others seem to love it.

Several of us hobby machinist guys belong to a group in the Sacramento area. We got together yesterday for some good fellowship.
I’m sharing some of the machine tools in this shop. Absolutely beautiful machines!!
I would kill for the Delta shaper. The South Bend hols a special place in my heart. The jointer is a beast. Maybe 5,000#
Delta shapers were also made under the AMMCO name. They're exactly the same machines. If memory serves correctly the Delta's were made in Milwaukee and the AMMCO's were made in Chicago under license from Delta.

Unfortunately, the prices have gone through the roof in the last 10 years. I bought my AMMCO about a dozen years ago at a government surplus auction (Badger Army Ammunition Plant in Baraboo Wisconsin). When it was originally put on the block the opening ask from the auctioneer was $50.00. No one would bid on it, so they took it back and packaged it with a dividing head and a rotary table. When it came back out a friend purchased all 3 units for $175.00. He knew I wanted the shaper, so he sold it to me for the price he paid for the whole lot. His only expense for the 15" rotary table and the dividing head was a couple hours' time and a little gasoline.

The cheapest I've seen them go for the last few years is $1,600.00 and that one wasn't complete. Here are a couple pictures of my machine. It came complete with an OD paint job and a war board tag. Note the belt guard in the second picture. There's currently one like it listed on eBay with an asking price of nearly $500.00.

Attachments

• DSC09994A.jpg
    DSC09994A.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC09996A.jpg
    DSC09996A.jpg
    693.1 KB · Views: 12
Several of us hobby machinist guys belong to a group in the Sacramento area. We got together yesterday for some good fellowship.
I’m sharing some of the machine tools in this shop. Absolutely beautiful machines!!
I would kill for the Delta shaper. The South Bend hols a special place in my heart. The jointer is a beast. Maybe 5,000#
Wow!!! Those machines look pristine!!!!

I want a shaper, a horizontal milling machine, and a….

Man! What was this thread about again!!?? :p

Delta shapers were also made under the AMMCO name. They're exactly the same machines. If memory serves correctly the Delta's were made in Milwaukee and the AMMCO's were made in Chicago under license from Delta.

Unfortunately, the prices have gone through the roof in the last 10 years. I bought my AMMCO about a dozen years ago at a government surplus auction (Badger Army Ammunition Plant in Baraboo Wisconsin). When it was originally put on the block the opening ask from the auctioneer was $50.00. No one would bid on it, so they took it back and packaged it with a dividing head and a rotary table. When it came back out a friend purchased all 3 units for $175.00. He knew I wanted the shaper, so he sold it to me for the price he paid for the whole lot. His only expense for the 15" rotary table and the dividing head was a couple hours' time and a little gasoline.

The cheapest I've seen them go for the last few years is $1,600.00 and that one wasn't complete. Here are a couple pictures of my machine. It came complete with an OD paint job and a war board tag. Note the belt guard in the second picture. There's currently one like it listed on eBay with an asking price of nearly $500.00.
I won’t tell you what he paid fir the shaper, I will give you a hint though. The small mill and the shaper were a package deal, less than $300 for the pair.

Wow!!! Those machines look pristine!!!!

I want a shaper, a horizontal milling machine, and a….

Man! What was this thread about again!!?? :p
Be careful what you wish for :). Just kidding. If you set your mind to it, You'll get your machines.

My wife and I retired a few years back. I've been busy everyday and still have too many projects.

My wife couldn't find a mission. She tried hobbies, church groups, volunteering, traveling, etc. Then, she found a retirement job in her field (nursing) where she works part time, picks her days and hours and has generous vacation. She actually helps people and I haven't seen her more happy in years.

Don't be afraid of change or changing your mind. There are literally dozens of unfinished retirement projects available on craigslist, zillow or monster.com daily after someone else thought better....

Back