Six Months Retired, I’m struggling.

My last day at the day job, where I'm COO of a boutique graduate school in NYC, is next Wednesday, the day before my 70th birthday. I have been looking forward to this with excitement for three years, since I decided to do it at 70. My vintage pen restoration business is growing rapidly and I just can't get better at it from 8-10pm weeknights and stolen weekend time. In fact, I'm here because I bought my Logan 820 in 2017 for pen work, and a big chunk of my upcoming time will be seriously expanding my skills there, in metal to train and then in celluloid and ebonite. I'm also a lifelong scale model car builder, and for anyone here in that world as well, I'm part of the club that puts on the NNL East every year (through 2019, for obvious reasons), so expecting to devote time to getting back into that as well. And, my 17 month grandson has already stolen my Thursday afternoons for the past year (pays to have been the boss, I had that flexibility), which surely will continue. Finally, I want to get my body back in shape; the last year hasn't been good for me.
Onwards!
Tim
Regarding my wife, she is a high school teacher here in NYC and still loves teaching. But, we'll see what happens this fall when she has to be up and out early and I will be up but decidedly not out.

Last edited:
My last day at the day job, where I'm COO of a boutique graduate school in NYC, is next Wednesday, the day before my 70th birthday. I have been looking forward to this with excitement for three years, since I decided to do it at 70. My vintage pen restoration business is growing rapidly and I just can't get better at it from 8-10pm weeknights and stolen weekend time. In fact, I'm here because I bought my Logan 820 in 2017 for pen work, and a big chunk of my upcoming time will be seriously expanding my skills there, in metal to train and then in celluloid and ebonite. I'm also a lifelong scale model car builder, and for anyone here in that world as well, I'm part of the club that puts on the NNL East every year (through 2019, for obvious reasons), so expecting to devote time to getting back into that as well. And, my 17 month grandson has already stolen my Thursday afternoons for the past year (pays to have been the boss, I had that flexibility), which surely will continue. Finally, I want to get my body back in shape; the last year hasn't been good for me.
Onwards!
Tim
Regarding my wife, she is a high school teacher here in NYC and still loves teaching. But, we'll see what happens this fall when she has to be up and out early and I will be up but decidedly not out.
Where do you get your celluloid from? I have no problem getting Ebonite and Acrylic, but finding celluloid has been a challenge. I do pen restoral work.

Good morning, I'm retired for over 16 years and and have more to do then I can handle. Don't fall into that rut. I would suggest restoring an old car. Thats something that is rewarding and will more then keep you busy. You will also meet some great guys with great cars and plenty to do. My latest project is making 90 feet of wrought iron fencing for my house. Your feelings will pass, you waited many years for for this. Make the most of it, the option is not good. View attachment 407265
The I can assure you I don’t watch tv. I read a lot, finally have the time.
I like the idea of restoring old machinery.

Onwards!
Tim
Sounds like you have a plan.
Getting up every day to go to work just about did me in. If I had to do it all over again, I would have done something I enjoyed.
Oh well, can’t go back.

@Janderso I retired 13 years ago, but I won't presume that my experience will map well on yours. There has been a lot of great advice above - and all of us wish you well -

I would add to the TED ideas that becoming part of a community (harder in the days of Covid and post-Covid) really helps. By being open to new people and new things to do, if you have the energy, the tasks and purpose often is there for the finding. Having a shop can, at least in part, be a part of that landscape.

I was able to semi-retire for 3 years before pulling the plug. I and abashed to say I'm far busier that when I was working full time. I find all kinds of people to help, and causes to work for. Never, ever an idle day, But the transition from full-time to part time, to retired and active - was stressful, and left me worried as well.

The moral of the story is that it will get better, if you work at it. Retirement is a skill like any machining technique, and will take a little practice to get better at it.

Where do you get your celluloid from? I have no problem getting Ebonite and Acrylic, but finding celluloid has been a challenge. I do pen restoral work.
It's available from most of the dealers in finer acrylic rod and blanks. Dig into the penturners' websites. All of what I have was part of a lot I purchased from a friend in the european restoration community a few years back. I don't expect to be producing whole pens, except for fun and to prove I can do it, and even that might be in ebonite, which I really like working with. You need a super-sharp cutting tool, though, and I've experimented with grinding angles, thanks to Mikey's instructions.

I do enjoy rebuilding good old American or English iron.
Good idea. Now to find something I can buy right.
idealy go for something without filler, over half of the work on my lathe has just been putting on and sanding filler, not very fun.

I like the idea of restoring old machinery.
That has been my approach to machining. I started out with a new mill and lathe, and have moved on to several machines to restore. Rather than a top to bottom restore, I have been jumping around between machines, improving a piece at a time.

With all your experience any thoughts on Mentoring or Teaching. Yuba College has an extensive Automotive Program. Two good friends have gone through it. I bet the kids would love you sharing all the knowledge and know how, you've gained over the years.

The loss of the "Technical Arts" in many school systems has always bothered me. My wife has been encouraging me when I retire to take that Industrial Studies background I have and go back and Teach/Mentor, at a local HS or Community College, all those kids that find a "4 year" college is not their thing.

Last edited:
Back