Six Months Retired, I’m struggling.

I'm 6 months away from 65 but will still continue to be self-employed. My work is slowing down considerably so I feel like I'm retired. Right now, my biggest issue is remembering what day it is, because every day seems like a Saturday!
I'm currently fabricating parts to raise my lathe. Have several projects on the list also.

Right now, my biggest issue is remembering what day it is, because every day seems like a Saturday!
This has become a real problem. I was fine until my wife stopped working too.

When I was young and wild, I looked forward to the day when I would be sufficiently disconnected that I didn't know what month it was. That day has arrived, but for different reasons.

With all your experience any thoughts on Mentoring or Teaching. Yuba College has an extensive Automotive Program. Two good friends have gone through it. I bet the kids would love you sharing all the knowledge and know how, you've gained over the years.

The loss of the "Technical Arts" in many school systems has always bothered me. My wife has been encouraging me when I retire to take that Industrial Studies background I have and go back and Teach/Mentor, at a local HS or Community College, all those kids that find a "4 year" college is not their thing.
:), :).
I asked my wife if she could see me teaching kids.
She said, you would either be fired or in jail your first week on the job. (She is a retired teacher)
Good idea though!

You'll come up with something. My last "real" working day at GM was on 12/3/2021 though my true departure date was 2/28/2022 (9 weeks of vacation and the Christmas holiday). I've got lots of little projects to keep me busy. Now just have to get at them!

I'm just about done with "woodfest 2022" or my annual cutting/splitting/stacking of about 8 full cords of firewood. In between I'd like to get the 7" riser block purchased 3 or 4 years ago on my Bridgeport. My Atlas MFB mill has broken flanges on the power feed; haven't decided on the fix there yet. Back door of the barn needs a new threshold. I've got red squirrels or something running around in the ceiling of the shop, need to find their entry point. I picked up a dozen radius end mills for the 1913 Erector set motor project, need to try those out. Then there are the projects in and around the house. Plus we will be taking possession of one of my mom's houses that they built and started filling with stuff in 1964. So much stuff to go through and pitch.

Keep your chin up, your spare time will disappear once more family and friends know you're available! Maybe do some videos on that end mill sharpener of yours!

Bruce

Last edited:
This is why I started so many projects... to finish them when I retire... :D:D

At least that is what I tell my wife when she asks me when I am finishing this or that...

On a serious note, and I might have missed it from the suggestions... how about taking on some kind of exercise routine... walking, bicycle, heck, riding a motorcycle if you do not want to move a muscle...

This is why I started so many projects... to finish them when I retire... :D:D

At least that is what I tell my wife when she asks me when I am finishing this or that...

On a serious note, and I might have missed it from the suggestions... how about taking on some kind of exercise routine... walking, bicycle, heck, riding a motorcycle if you do not want to move a muscle...
From what I remember, Jeff and his wife walk /hike regularly/daily. I think he is looking for purpose. Some reason to do something.

Recent project has been teaching my daughter machining on the mill.
This right here is a wonderful retirement gig. Even tho you may not think you are a teacher, you have a lifetime of experience the right student would remember the rest of his life. I am lucky to have 3.

I have been retired 2 years, and like most guys posting, I have no shortage of projects on my mind.
Some of them actually go from my mind to my hands, but I gotta pace myself......

From what I remember, Jeff and his wife walk /hike regularly/daily. I think he is looking for purpose. Some reason to do something.
Oh, got it... so that part is covered already... Good. Was making sure a healthy habit was part of his routine.... longer life and all that comes with it.

So how about a garden? We started to do that... Cilantro, lettuce, basil, tomatoes, peppers, blueberries, blackberries, etc. Very satisfying to grow part of your own food...

The I can assure you I don’t watch tv. I read a lot, finally have the time.
I like the idea of restoring old machinery.

Machine restoration can be a satisfying way to learn new skills and acquire needed assets at bargain basement prices. About half the machines in my shop have gone through some stages of "restoration". I tend to look for those that may not currently be in prime condition but have the potential of becoming jewels once they've been given enough TLC to bring them back to life. Unlike some others I'm not into creating museum pieces, but rather functional machines that I'm not afraid to get dirty. I'd rather have a well running machine with a few nicks and scratches than a museum queen that just sits there and gets polished.

It might be worth your time to start doing some networking with local machine shops and used equipment dealers. Many of the machines I've purchased have come from local shops either replacing manual machines with more automated ones, buying newer bigger models to keep up with business demands, or ones being put out to pasture as they near the end of their useful lives.

I keep in touch with local used equipment dealers and visit a couple every other week or so. Sometimes it's for nothing other than a social visit. Other times I'm looking for tooling or parts for a machine I'm working on, and occasionally I purchase a machine on my "nice to have" list. I don't advertise or share the list, just keep it in the back of my head. At this point space available in the shop somewhat dictates the machines I seek out. There was a time when I was actively looking for a radial drill and a Jig bore machine. Now that the shop is almost at capacity, I've come to the realization that there isn't room for either let alone both.

My latest purchase although not an antique was an 11-year-old Bailiegh cold saw. I've always wanted one but since it will be used more as a novelty, I was unwilling to pay what most dealers were asking. I happened across one that needed some TLC at a price I couldn't refuse. Not only was the price right but the dealer delivered it to the door at no charge. The saw is currently laying in a thousand pieces in the garage. Everything has been cleaned and all the broken parts have either been repaired or replaced. The next steps are some paint on the parts that potentially will rust, and reassembly.

It might take another few months before the project is completed, but there's no rush. This time of the year all the yard work and outside repairs take prescience. I'll work on the project as time allows.

Back