Size And Type Of 3 Phase Transformer?

Ropata

Registered
Registered
Hi guys,

I have just purchased a 10hp control board and a 10hp motor to suit, all I need now is a step up transformer but I have no idea what size/type I need. Can anyone help please?

I suppose that depends on what you are planning to do? If you are putting a transformer between an RPC and a machine, I would suggest a transformer at about 2x the largest motor you intend to run. For example if you are going to power a 5 HP motor, that is about 4kW. So go for a transformer rated to at least 8kVa.

What type?? Nothing special here - assuming you are looking at a straight forward 3 phase transformer?? You probably want one of those small, dry type, air cooled boxes (sits in the corner and humms).

I suppose that depends on what you are planning to do? If you are putting a transformer between an RPC and a machine, I would suggest a transformer at about 2x the largest motor you intend to run. For example if you are going to power a 5 HP motor, that is about 4kW. So go for a transformer rated to at least 8kVa.

What type?? Nothing special here - assuming you are looking at a straight forward 3 phase transformer?? You probably want one of those small, dry type, air cooled boxes (sits in the corner and humms).
Cheers for that. This is what I'm trying to run

14675067738071951167278.jpg

Normally transformers are rated in KVA. In most cases, when sizing transformers, you can use KVA and KW interchangeably. So yes, a 7.5 KVA transformer would work for a 10 HP motor, but it looks like you are only going to be running about 2.5 KW. I assume the 10HP is for the RPC.

My little Maho mill has a 2 speed motor (575V). On the high speed setting, it is rated at 2.2kW. I am running it on a 5HP RPC and with a 6KVA transformer. It does not like starting on the high speed setting (I don't know if it is a transformer issue or something to do with the RPC). The mill has a 9 speed gear box, and I normally operate on the low motor speed (an adequate selection for most of what I do). Occasionally I use the high speed, by first pressing the low speed, then push high speed (each has its' own contactor) - works fine.

Yeah I went for a 10hp RPC because I plan on getting a mill soon. So does anyone know where or in what kind of industry I could find a 7.5kva, 3 phase, 220-440 transformer? I take it I'm looking for an auto transformer?

The transformer in the the RPC drawing is an isolation transformer. I'm not sure if an auto transformer would work with a RPC, I'd have to think about that for awhile. You might check with the RPC manufacturer on that one.

Any heavy industrial facility might have something like that around, I would check with some local electricians, especially ones that do industrial. They might have some leads on a suitable transformer kicking around. I know where 3 of them are at, but I'm a long ways from you. You can always go larger on the KVA if something is available for a reasonable price.

The transformer in the the RPC drawing is an isolation transformer. I'm not sure if an auto transformer would work with a RPC
It work fine as long as you did not forget that your neutral on the output side would be the middle of one of the legs.

Back