Sizing parallels?

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have a nice set of 3" parallels and related accessories for the 2" vise on my Sherline mill. Mikey had recommended the parallel set so there was little thought on my part, (click link, and pay).

I have now added a larger mill that came with a 5" Kurt style import vise. I can probably get by for a bit with the 3" set that I have but they are pretty small in comparison to the vise.

I've found I'm not really sure what the relationship should be between parallels and a vise. The 3" may have been suggested because 2" vises are uncommon, or maybe it is desirable to be a little longer.

The vise is 5" wide and 1-1/2" deep. What would be a good size to look for to match up with this vise?

I have a 5" vise & I just went with 6". There will be a few of the parallels in the 6" sets that you won't be able to use cause 6" vises have taller jaws. But no matter, 6" parallels are the most common & cheaper. I only know of one vendor that sells 5" parallels, they only come in one thickness, & they're not as cheap as you can get 6"ers for.

I agree, get the 6" parralels. I use them on a 4"vise and am glad to have the added support on the ends.

I am in the 6" camp that is what I use in my 4" vise. As Will said cheapest way to go.

Ok, I'll look for some 6s. It seems a simple question, so basically got the answer I expected. I thought there might have been a rule of thumb to go X sizes bigger for some reason and always better to ask before you buy the wrong size.

More common size so cheaper is always a plus, and I've found the extra inch on the 3" does make it easier to adjust them. However I may not be able to straddle the vise with my fingers with this new one.

The 3's can still offer utility value for the bigger vise. They come in handy when you need support on either underside of a part but a gap in the middle like accommodating drilling a through-hole.

My Bison is 5" jaw & 6" parallels work just fine. Any portion protruding out the side a bit is of no consequence really. The odd time it might conflict with a vise stop or some other situation. Again, shorties can be handy in these situations.

Aaron, I've got an extra set of parallels, I'll make you a deal and you can pick them up if you come to April meeting. Now to PM.

Back