MON Sjogren 2J Collet Speed Chuck Tightening

I removed the aluminum hand wheel halves and sprayed them with a rubberized flex coating from Home Depot. I gave it about 6 coats allowing each one to dry for an hour. The coating adheres very well. Does not readily scratch off. I reassembled the halves back on the chuck. It improved my grip quite a bit. I was able to tighten the chuck that extra few degrees of rotation to secure the work piece.

Cal - I checked the chuck and it does not have the serial number any where on it. Although the collets are all marked with the Monarch name. I do have some Hardinge collets and there is a slight difference in the curvature of the collet faces between the brands. The Monarch ones have a little bit flatter curve.

If I remember right, that chuck is supposed to have a hammer feature on it. In other words, the wheel is free in reverse so you can snap it forward to hammer it shut. It just may need a cleaning.
(I've been meaning to circle back to this...)
That's not a feature of the Sjogren chuck. The Jacob's Rubberflex chuck does have an impact tightening feature, like you describe. (link)

Back