Sjogren Chuck question

tfleming

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So, I just scored a nice #2 Sjogren Speed chuck and 16 3J collets at auction for $180. I will be using it on a South Bend 10L lathe. Is there anything special about the back plate, or can I just turn a new one? This one is setup to be run in a 4 jaw chuck (go figure). I haven't disassembled it yet, but I thought I would ask here before I "dive in". Oh, the SB 10L has the 2 1/4-8 threaded spindle.

auction1.jpg

chuck1.jpg

chuck3.jpg

chuck2.jpg

The 3j collets start at over 100 bucks each. So you got a good deal. What back plate do you need for your machine?

I have a Sjogren 5C collet speed chuck BUT it has a D1-4 I was wondering if I can make a mount to my LOO using the threaded bolts that hold down the chuck alignment pins. sorry if this is too off topic.
Sjogren Chuck

The 3j collets start at over 100 bucks each. So you got a good deal. What back plate do you need for your machine?
I need to find or make a back plate with 2 1/2-8 threads. My 10L has the large bore on the spindle. I have no issues making one, but I wanted to see if there was anything "magic" or gotcha traps before I tear into the chuck.

I have a Sjogren 5C collet speed chuck BUT it has a D1-4 I was wondering if I can make a mount to my LOO using the threaded bolts that hold down the chuck alignment pins. sorry if this is too off topic.
Sjogren Chuck
Ed, I am going to replace the existing (pictured) back plate on mine to mount on my SB 10L lathe. if there is some good feedback on this thread, it should answer both of our questions.

Do you have a 4 jaw chuck on the machine? Might try using it that way if you don't need the length for the parts you're making.

John

I'll be watching also.
The auction coming up in Charlotte has a couple of these with d1-4 mounts and I'd like to score one for my 1440.
I created a post for it in the Auctions section
There's a couple of fine look SB10's in it.

Back