Blogwitch

Registered
Registered
I don't know if a lot of you gents know about a program called 'Skype'

It is a method of talking to friends and colleagues anywhere in the world for [size=12pt]NOTHING[/size]

Well it isn't exactly for nothing, if you want them to see your ugly mush face whilst talking, you will need a webcam. Most people use a webcam with a built in microphone and their own computer speakers, I use a headset as well, as I talk to people at all hours, day and night, so by using a headset, I don't wake up the better half, as I can turn off my speakers.

It really is a great means of communicating, and if you get yourself organised, you can conference call as well, where you can all chew the fat for as long as you like.

There is a bit of a limitation, if you want to use video, you need at least around 2MB download speed, otherwise you are limited to speech only.

All you need to do is download the Skype program and run it, register, give yourself a name, and do a search for other Skype members, or put their Skype name into the search box.

My Skype name BTW is Bandit175

Get Skype here

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/windows/

Lets all get talking!!!

John

Thanks for the Reply Turbo.

I have never used Google talk, I think because I never even knew it existed, but it seems like Skype is the more successful one.

BTW, even though there are many ways you can spend money with Skype, there is never any need to pay one penny to use the system I am talking about, so if it starts to say that it costs such and such, you are looking in the wrong area.

Thank you for breaking the ice John, I was actually half way through writing this reply to Turbo when you called. It was so nice to talk and see you, just like we were facing each other in the same room. We WILL get together again in the near future.

John

+1 FOR SKYPE!

I use it to talk to my friends all over the world and it always works perfectly!
Well nearly always...
My parents in South Africa have a slower connection and sometimes i sound like Donald Duck! :p
But a quick disconnect and redial and all is great again!

My skype is: andjof

Will add the other guys to my list tonight!
All of a sudden the neighbourhood of help has expanded to beyond the horizon!

Andrew

Hi,

I've also been a Skype user for a long time; my son and one of my brothers live abroad and Skype allows me to talk to them, even seeing them, for nothing. I also use Skype within my own country.
If you are an iPhone user (I am one) you have access to Facetime, which is also free and works even better than Skype; it only works over a WiFi connection while Skype will work with all kinds of internet connections.

José

Andrew,
All of a sudden the neighbourhood of help has expanded to beyond the horizon!

It is for that very reason I raised the subject.

Never be alone again.

BTW, I entered your Skype name and it wasn't recognised.

John

Ooops!!! sorry about that. That one is for another site... :-[

Try joffea.

The other problem i have with the WWW is the number of names, passwords etc that you need in order to survive.

Minimum 6 letter, one capital, two numbers and it goes on and on..
That is why i use my nickname on ever forum i join.
Also easy to recognize the people you know!

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, your name is now on my list, just awaiting your acceptance.

BTW, don't try contacting straight away, medicos need to prod me about this afternoon.

John

Thanks John!

I am at work now so usually am only home by 6pm EST.
The weekends are the best time to have a chat.
I will add you as soon as i get home tonight.

Hope the buggers don't prod you too much!!

Andrew

I chatted briefly with John (Bogs) a couple of years ago. I seemed to be having some issues with the cheap microphone I had at the time. Getting a headset is well worth it.

Kinda neat to talk and see someone halfway around the world. The stuff of science fiction only a decade ago.

Back