Slab milling cutter adapters.

Marcduper

Registered
Registered
Good afternoon,

I have a sweet Sheldon/Vernon Model Zero Horizontal mill. The main arbor is 1 inch. I recently came across a bunch of new and near new slab cutters with a 1-1/8" bore. Has anyone made adapters to fit a smaller arbor? If soon, what is the prefered material and any advice. Thanks.

Marc

I do have a good length of 1-1/8 hydraulinc cylinder shaft to make one. Just asking.

I don't have one. What is the taper of your arbor? And how long is it?

Good afternoon, The taper is a Brown and Sharp number nine. The arbor is a total of 14 inches.

Thank you for your response. Marc

For this sort of thing, I sometimes make a shouldered bushing with a key slot, then make a key oversized in height. For this application, I'd make two shouldered bushings for each end of the cutter.
One wonders why this cutter would have a non standard arbor hole.

No sir, the hole is standard size 1-1/4. I made a mistake in my earlier posts. My arbor shaft is only 1 inch. Your thoughts on the shouldered bushings was my plan.

I recap: I have slab milling cutters with a 1-1/4 hole size. Problem is that I only have a 1 inch arbor. Very sorry for the wrong information.

Thanks

No sir, the hole is standard size 1-1/4. I made a mistake in my earlier posts. My arbor shaft is only 1 inch. Your thoughts on the shouldered bushings was my plan.

I recap: I have slab milling cutters with a 1-1/4 hole size. Problem is that I only have a 1 inch arbor. Very sorry for the wrong information.

Thanks
No damage done! I have seen cutters with non standard holes, but very rare; metric sizes are another exception. I have not used a slab cutter in many years, did so more often when all I had was a #2 Brown & Sharpe universal of about 1906 vintage, have now upgraded to a later (about 1943) version with the all angle universal milling head, used mostly as a vertical attachment.

You should check out this little Sheldon /Vernon 0. It has nice gear box, variable speed, very tight and accurate. I do like squaring up parts with this machine. That is why I picked up the helical cutters.

Back