Slide hammer center punch

Moper361

Registered
Registered
Some people here might be interested in this for a quick easy project .i made it up today .A slide hammer center punch it works ok and easy to keep tip were you want it when you bring the hammer down

I have hardened the tip buy heatting red hot then quenching in water not 100 percent confident this is cotrect .it seems ok but any info to tempering it properly i would appreciate .

Regards Nat 20180221_142559.jpg20180221_142542.jpg20180221_142556.jpg20180221_142551.jpg

Great design. I can see that being used a lot. Mike

There was a post here a while back about slide hammers that put me on track to make this as it will be handy yes

Temper for 1 hour at 350 degrees. If you don't it will be brittle.
Is it a tool steel? If not you may need to case harden to get any hardness.
You could always drill the tip out and insert a HSS round and grind it to a point. Looks like there might be enough material there.
Nice tool looks like it will be very usefull.

Temper for 1 hour at 350 degrees. If you don't it will be brittle.
Is it a tool steel? If not you may need to case harden to get any hardness.
You could always drill the tip out and insert a HSS round and grind it to a point. Looks like there might be enough material there.
Nice tool looks like it will be very usefull.
Thanks Ray .it seems to hold up on center punching steel so far but if it fails in the future i can always make a new tip not difficult and like you say use a hss tip insert
Regards Nat

That looks great...nicely done! Think I'll definitely be adding that one to my ever-growing list of projects...thanks for posting!

That looks great...nicely done! Think I'll definitely be adding that one to my ever-growing list of projects...thanks for posting!
Thanks .more than happy to share ideas TTD

Back