Slitting Saw Arbor/Holder

looks good--you could mill or file a couple flats on it to use a wrench to hold it while snugging your screw tight--it looks like your blade is on backwards for the teeth to cut, but my eyes may not be the best--Dave
Yes, it is backwards, cutting forces would unscrew it in use.

I take it you are referring to a slitting saw and not a split saw ? Gotta go with steel and a good grade at that . Nice job though and it worked which is the main thing .
Actually, that saw is a screw slotter, not a slitting saw which would have way fewer teeth and consequently more chip space; screw slotters are made for shallow cuts as in straight slotted screw heads.

Pun intended! Once I saw a whole gang of slitting saws, like 6 or so do that; the guy was slitting physical test coupons (for Charpy impact test pieces) on a piece of junk Cincinnati #5 mill from the WW-1 era, something jammed up and it took out all the 1/8 X 6 slitters; the bosses were not pleased, to say the least.

I take it you are referring to a slitting saw and not a split saw ? Gotta go with steel and a good grade at that . Nice job though and it worked which is the main thing .

You are right. It is fixed. Thanks.

Nice tool but what you don't want in a slitting saw arbor is too much run out, which will affect the cutting action.
Let us know how it works out. I've never seen an aluminum arbor.

Nice tool but what you don't want in a slitting saw arbor is too much run out, which will affect the cutting action.
Let us know how it works out. I've never seen an aluminum arbor.

I don't really have much application of slitting, and I am hoping to get away with aluminum for my occasionally use. Plus, I left enough material so that I can reshape it necessary.

Back