Slitting saw question

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Regarding some thin aluminum angle thats 24in long and approx 0.055in thick. It's the cover for one of the scales on my DRO.

I need to trim one side down. If you picture some 2in x 2in angle aluminum, I need to trim it down to 2in x 7/8in, for instance.

I think the material is too thin to mill.

Is a slitting saw in my mill a good choice?

Last edited:
Sorry, but using a table saw for that sounds like a VERY dangerous idea! Even with the blade just peeking above the cut. Sounds a lot safer if you did it on a band saw:). Please be safe...Dave

Last edited:
No don't have a table saw.

I tried to do it with a Dremel router table and a fiber cut-off wheel, but I burned up the Dremel after about 6 inches. No loss, the Dremel was about 30 years old. :)

Done all the time in machine shops provided you use fine toothed carbide blade and a good wood "pusher".

If you don't have a vertical bandsaw,then a thin cut off disc on an angle grinder will do a quick job of that ,you can machine it down to 7/8" on the mill later.

You should be to cut that thickness of aluminum with utility knife. Score or 3 times and snap off and lean up edge with file.

Back