Slitting Saws/Arbors?

MKSJ, I love the light on your mill. I have never seen a light like that before. Did it come with the mill?

Last edited:
I do use slitting saws on a somewhat regular basis. However I've never used on an my Bridgeport. I only recently purchased an arbor for them, but haven't used it yet. I do use them on my ancient US Machine Tools horizontal mill. I can't tell you exactly how many horizontal saws and cutters I have, but looking in the drawers I would guess well over a hundred.

The mill has a 1" arbor, but I was finding most hobbyists were looking for saws and cutters with this size bore. In the scheme of things those with a 1" bore are far more expensive (on eBay) than those with a 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" bore. To minimize cost of new cutters I made adaptors for the larger bores.

The last job I used them for was when I made some new collets for my Black Diamond drill grinder. The collets I made needed a .016" slot 3/4" deep.

Here's the machine I use them on:

DSCF8027A.jpg

Last edited:
mksj, beautiful work on your arbor! That could make me rethink a straight shank and using a collet. Very nice! I love the light too. I'm going to have to read that link jwmelvin posted.
projectnut, nice horizontal mill. Really like the small(er) size. That looks handy.

Back