Slittling saw on a horzontal mill

Airpirate

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Can a slitting saw be used to do a plunge cut? I am trying to cut a squared of U cut in a one inch slab of 4140. I use this saw frequently to slab of stock for projects and dont exceed .020 on each cut but these cuts go the entire piece of the stock in a slow .012 speed pass. Id like to cut a long pass for each side of the U terminating in a relief hole drilled at the end of the pass but to connect the two sides of the U I wonder if I dare do a slow plunge cut with a smaller diameter slittling saw, Or is this asking for trouble?

I haven't done a plunge cut, but I can't imagine it would be a problem. I do know that when using a slitting saw
you should not use a key in the keyway because if it does snag the cutter will be ruined and it will cut into the key itself
making it difficult to get it apart. If you don't use a key the cutter will just spin and not hurt anything.

Yes you can plunge with a slitting saw , just keep it well lubed to clear the chips . ( think woodruff key cutter ) . I wouldn't recommend using any cutter without the key if auto feeding . If that cutter spins while feeding , you are going to replace it regardless . The key and keyway are there for a reason .

Even with lube the saws gullets can plug up so shot of air can help that or use a "cold gun" blowing onto the saw to blow the chips away and keep things cool and running free.

Back