Slot Milled into New Aloris Tool Holder

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Long story short, I bought a new Aloris CXA #1 tool holder online from All Industrial.

When it arrived, I saw what you see in the photos. It turns out that Aloris had a metric part number on there that they milled off at the factory.

All Industrial was great. They provided a return label, and gave me a full refund. All of the 8 tool holders that All Industrial currently had in inventory had the slot milled in there. All Industrial bought these wholesale from Aloris.

I ordered a replacement directly from Aloris, and it came as expected (with no unnecessary slots milled into it).

39D31E1E-61CB-45D0-984C-3C00C4FBCA99.jpeg

4A6EA648-E586-4FED-B99B-2FED2AD39F63.jpeg

46411610-D8E4-464B-9094-0562FABC6AE5.jpeg

264E511E-2BAF-4B06-A166-4EDC5055E851.jpeg

2AC653B5-12F2-4A6A-BA4F-F2D910CC3237.jpeg

I can’t really see that hurts anything, but for the price, you should indeed get it your way.

I invite everybody to chime in whether or not they would have returned that.

Returning it was a no brainer for me, but I am picky about my tools.

overall it looked like a used tool.
WTH didn't they just leave the numbers on?
I am bothered by the horrible job they did.

But if the tool was discounted, I probably would have kept it.

I invite everybody to chime in whether or not they would have returned that.

Returning it was a no brainer for me, but I am picky about my tools.
I'm with you, I would have returned it as well. If they had been up front about it, and called it a "scratch & dent" or "second" ( and priced its accordingly ), I'd have been fine. When you have a reputation of being one of the gold standards in lathe tool holding, putting out product like that as new just screams I don't give a ****!

Last edited:
Those should be priced as factory seconds. Not that it affects the usefulness in anyway, but when you pay what Aloris charges it should look better than the Chinese copies.

The slot was milled before the black finish was applied.

Out of curiosity, I searched online for metric Aloris tool holders, but I did not find any info.

Back