Slot milling in 6061-o Aluminum 0.04 thick help

Looks much better. The speed and feed I gave you is a .0007" per tooth chip load (based upon a 3 flute mill). If you try 1900 rpm and 3.5 ipm that works out to be .0006 . Try different chip loads and feel how the tool is cutting. Once you start to gain experience you will be able to "feel" on the table handwheels how the tool is cutting. You can start to feel when the tool is getting worn or getting clogged by feeling added resistance as you feed into your workpiece. You ideally want to mill to feed exactly the same throughout your entire cut. Good luck, keep at it.

Simple chip load calculator :

Thanks for that suggestion. I assume the less chip load the cleaner the cut? To a point where it is too low?
If I use 1800RPM and 3 inches/min I get 5.5 chip load. 1800 is the max RPM I get on the low speed setting, it is belt driven.
My mill is set up as CNC so the feed rate is constant.

Would a downward spiral bit have any advantage in this situation? I’ve used them in my woodshop but not in metal . https://www.precisionbits.com/down-cut-bits/
I've been cnc machining for about 21 years and never heard of this type of mill. A quick read of the description would tell me a definate NO in aluminum. There is what's called "high rake" type mills that are ideally suited for aluminum work only. But again this is for a high rpm / high SFM feeds in a CNC application. The limitations of the hobby benchtop mill require very conservative trial and error.

Back