Resolved Slow loading pages—ads come first?

kb58

Registered
Registered
I admit this thread doesn't belong here, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere better, and this affects everyone.

I use 3 different PCs, two Windows 7 and a Windows 10 machine. The W10 PC is on a commercial network at work, while the W7 PCs are on my home network. This matters because all three show long delays (of up to 15 seconds) while loading pages on this and many other forums. While I don't have proof, I suspect the delays are due to advertisers having bought their way into the first position to load, rather than actual content.

It happens on all my PCs, so I don't think it's virus protection sw, or network issues, but likely because advertisers pay more to be first in line. I get it, but it makes me sad that this is apparently the New Normal :(

Hmm, I don't seem to have that issue, what browser are you using?

If Microsoft is trying to update your system it will slow everything down but I thought they had stopped patching Windows 7. If all else fails you could try switching to Linux, I run Ubuntu and it works the treat, even on older hardware. It's not a religious thing for me, I run and support Mac, Windows and Linux....

1ohn

Upvote 0
You might want to upgrade those Win 7 machines to Win 10. You can do it for free now before the support for win 7 expires at the end of the year.

Upvote 0
I don't have these issues on my PC or phone either. My PC is running Win7. There was recent talk about ads so I'll bring this up to the admins to see if it's related.

Moving to Site Issues/Help

Upvote 0
No problems on any of my many systems

Upvote 0
The moderators had a chitchat about this concern, and none of us experience anything like it. Most of us have very sophisticated systems with lots of stuff running in the background. All my page loads are fine, for instance.

And to be clear - there is no specific provision to give advertisers special priority. The site runs under some very intricate (and at times cumbersome) software, and is upgraded regularly to give the best security and performance. Without sitting at your computers, @kb58, I can't begin to speculate on which of many possibilities are slowing your load times and screen display. I really wish I could help.

Upvote 0
I use 3 different PCs, two Windows 7 and a Windows 10 machine. The W10 PC is on a commercial network at work, while the W7 PCs are on my home network. This matters because all three show long delays (of up to 15 seconds) while loading pages on this and many other forums. While I don't have proof, I suspect the delays are due to advertisers having bought their way into the first position to load, rather than actual content.

Hi kb58,

The only thing you haven't mentioned is the status of your computers' performance via regular maintenance routines. One of the main factors for browser performance is first going to be clearing caches of temporary files. If you have done this recently, then it is possible that your Windows 7 updates are interfering with computer performance. But you do say that you have Windows 10 which should rule out update performance - hence, why I would look closely at cleaning up your browser history, cookies, cache, etc.

Other than that, recent complaints of ads aside, we are working to reduce ad placements and improve times and I haven't heard any reports of excessive load times except for this one. I agree that 15 seconds is too long which is why I would look closely at your cache if I could.

The moderators had a chitchat about this concern, and none of us experience anything like it. Most of us have very sophisticated systems with lots of stuff running in the background. All my page loads are fine, for instance.

And to be clear - there is no specific provision to give advertisers special priority. The site runs under some very intricate (and at times cumbersome) software, and is upgraded regularly to give the best security and performance. Without sitting at your computers, @kb58, I can't begin to speculate on which of many possibilities are slowing your load times and screen display. I really wish I could help.

@Dabbler is 99% correct here. In an attempt to reduce unwanted ads from Google, I've started to substitute our site sponsor ad in its place. This happens to be Plastiblock. I don't think this makes @kb58 only 1% correct though :) - he is correct we have site sponsors who purchase ad space - sorry I had to make the math work. :)

So there are three problems we continue to try and refine here and I hope everyone can continue to be patient with me as I experiment with reducing ads, optimizing experience and ensuring that costs to maintain the site are covered through a combination of donations and ad dollars.

Bryan

Upvote 0
You might want to upgrade those Win 7 machines to Win 10. You can do it for free now before the support for win 7 expires at the end of the year.
There is an option. I've been running Win10 on (2) desktops and (2) laptops since the free offer back in '16, and I'm not at all happy with the results.
For background I've been involved with computers since 1979 in CAD/Engineering environments and have lived through all that Micro$oft has to offer.
Here's a link to a company that is offering patches after windows7 EOL. https://blog.0patch.com
I'm going with that on my home workstations (6) and all friends and relatives. I don't have the time any more to 'help' with Win10.
MS's updates have caused me enough headaches with friends and relatives. <end rant>

Upvote 0
Testing reply function in this forum.

Upvote 0
Back