Slow Motion Fun with the Ammco Shaper

Cool vid! I guess I should grab the shaper in my dads garage too.

It is fun to watch in SSsssoooowww mmoootttiiiiooonn!

Here's it embeded for you!

[video=youtube;ICHqFAjrmiY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICHqFAjrmiY[/video]

My observation after watching this video and others on this forum, is that generally speaking most machinists cut in the opposite direction on shapers, that is starting at the nearside and feeding towards the operator; this generally throws the chip AWAY from the operator, not TOWARDS the operator, same on a planer. Those chips can get mighty hot and burn the crud out of you. On agressive cuts, you can literally turn the chip blue; this is like 650 degrees F. Best not to have them coming at you.

My observation after watching this video and others on this forum, is that generally speaking most machinists cut in the opposite direction on shapers, that is starting at the nearside and feeding towards the operator; this generally throws the chip AWAY from the operator, not TOWARDS the operator, same on a planer. Those chips can get mighty hot and burn the crud out of you. On agressive cuts, you can literally turn the chip blue; this is like 650 degrees F. Best not to have them coming at you.

Trying to understand what you mean. For those of us who don't know much about shapers:

-Where is the "near side" in that video?

-Where is the "operator" in that video?

-When you say "cut in the opposite direction", do you mean each pass will be in the opposite direction? Or the feed for each successive pass will be in the opposite direction?

thanks,

To clarify, the operator stands on the "control" right side or suppose to. And make up a chip box carboard is fine. I dont want chips in the shop cat's
feet.

- - - Updated - - -

I would certainly like some detailed shaper theory, set up, and use videos. I'd find it extremely helpful.
Thank you!
Daryl
MN

Daryl I'm still working on it. maybe Staples got vhs cassettes? dont know. Geeezzzzzzz welcome to the new world, buy something big bucks and its
obsolete before its paid for????

SHOP CAT RICARDO

Richard.jpg

Back