Slowing Down My Drill Press !!!

chip maker

Registered
Registered
I have a bench top drill press that only has 5 speeds 700-3000 Rpm. What I would like to do is add an idler in the center to be able to slow down the rpm. Looking at manuels for like 12 speed presses and they just seem to have this center idler and 2 belts instead of one. My guestion is has anyone else done this and did it work out alright? I looked under the cover and there is a possible mounting for the idler so I'm not sure if it is worth the time to try and set this up or not. Using this drill for wood work wasn't a problem but now doing a lot more metal work also I need to slow it down to help save on the bits. Thanks

I bought the center pulley "Hi-Lo speed attachment for my 1963 Craftsman drill press when I bought it new. It just has a round piece of cast iron that goes down into the top of the column about 2". The pulley has a ball bearing in it's center. The pulley's axle is held off center in the cast iron plug,so the pulley can be rotated to tighten the front belt. The rear belt is tightened by the swinging motor mount(not the most powerful arrangement,but the motor is only 1/2 H.P..)You will probably have to make these parts,but they are do able. There is a set screw on the plug that can be tightened to jam it inside the column,but I never use it. My drill press can go from crawling speed to 10,000 RPM with the center pulley. You need VERY low speeds for drilling larger holes in steel. I think mine does about 170 RPM. But,in reality,the motor is not powerful enough to drill holes much larger than 1/2". For that,I also have an old 20" Walker Turner drill press with a VFD on it.

Most modern larger drill presses will only go down to 300 RPM,which is way too fast for drilling larger holes in steel. So,their rating of drilling ,say,1 1/4" holes is a joke. If they have powerful motors,and are 3 phase,a VFD can effectively slow them down.

Most modern larger lathes go too fast too. I did have a 19" swing lathe at work that would go 11 RPM,which was VERY useful,especially for large diameter cast iron work. Cast iron easily blunts tools if turned too fast,most especially HSS. Carbide is needed,but so is SLOW SPEED. My 16" lathe at home does 60 RPM,way too fast. It swings 24" in the gap. I made a special pulley to slow it to 1/2 speed,but even that is not slow enough. Fortunately,most of my work is not large. I am at least able to face off my large cast iron face plate(they always need a bit of truing up when new). My lathe is single phase,so I can't put a VFD on it. When I bought it,they were not yet common.

That was a way we tested applicants for our shop. Hand them a hand drill and a 1/2 inch drill bit and see how they used the trigger to keep the speed as low as they could. If they just chucked up the bit ad fell on it wide open we took a pass on hiring them because it was obvious they were not what they claimed to be. Ahhh, the good old days when PC meant a printed circuit not politically correct...

Bob

George,
So you do have a center pulley on your drill press, is that pulley the same dia. as the other two pulleys ? Buy the photos some of the other machines I seen seem to have the same size is the correct? If it is a different size can you give me the sizes of yours so I can figure out the size difference to mine. Thanks for the info.

Yes,the center pulley is about the same size. You do need to be careful about the diameters,or you will be finding that shifting the belt will require more pulley travel,or more motor travel than you can get from the drill press. You only have a limited amount of travel available.

The above site reference is excellent. That is the drill press I have,but it is a few years older. Mine is "smoke gray". Glad I didn't get the gold version! It has been so long,I was rather guessing at my speeds.

Parts cheap??? That's the first time I ever heard of getting parts cheap! Usually,if you had a $3000.00 lathe,it seems that you could buy a new Rolls Royce for the cost of buying enough parts to build another from parts!!:)

I also think you should buy the Grizzly parts. You might have to make a column plug to get that crank shaped swinging arm ( 063) to fit. But,it would definitely be a LOT easier to just buy the parts.

That setup has a LOT more movement ability than my old craftsman setup.

I'm glad to know about them,too,should I ever(not likely) want to modify another drill press.

Tmarks11, The Grizzly is the one I looked at to get the idea to do this conversion. You are right, the cost of the parts isn't that bad. I didn't look at the prices for the parts when I first looked up the configuration. Even with adding the cost of the belts I couldn't make the hard parts for the same money. The cost of the material for the pulley alone would cost more. Thanks for the push in that direction and I think I'll order the parts today. Thanks again.

Just wanted to let all that helped I just got done ordering the parts from Grizzly. With adding the two belts and shipping total came to $63.00. When I get into changing this over I will keep you posted as to how it works out. Thanks again guys for all the input.

Back