SM 1334 gear options

1448CW

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased a Standard Modern 1334 that I am getting back into order. Its missing a few parts that I have found solutions for, but has a damaged sliding gear. Its the small gear that the tumbler bracket interfaces with. So basically, its needed for operation of the leadscrew for feed, and threading regardless of speed.

I measured it, and the specs are 16t, 14dp, 20 degree thrust angle. A real oddball gear to say the least. That now non-standard (no pun intended) diametral pitch of 14 makes it hard to find any off the shelf solutions.

So, Leblond quoted me first $650, which I questioned, and they looked into it and then quoted me $900 or more with a 4-6 wait. I got another one-off quote and it was even more for one, until I started ordering quantity, when the price goes down significantly.

I looked into making it myself, but have not found a 14dp, 20 TA #2 cutter. I would think there is one out there somewhere, but I am not setup to make one anyway, so it would also be an expensive solution.

Anyway, I am looking for other ideas. If anyone has spare parts or is parting out one, or has another idea, I would be most grateful.

Thanks,

Chris

Every few months SM1334 parts show up on EBay. I think they are from the same seller. No long ago he had a complete quick change assembly for sale at a reasonable price. I think it was under $200, and there were no bids. It may pop up again...

For a complete set of drawings for the lathe, check out this site: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=6935

Try Ash Gear Co. for cutters, they have nearly everything in gear cutting tools.

Chris Try Racer Machinery ( 1 888 514 1661 ) They manufacture SM and will make parts for older machines. Dave

Thanks guys, some good options. Hopefully I can get mine all back in working order!

Our city has a (maybe two) hear companies that will make the gear you want. Should be under $100, which will be the minimum order.

Back