small and intriguing tools

MarkNotts

Registered
Registered
a bit of a weird one and hard to explain, I have been to a few car boot events recently and been on ebay and gumtree, there is a glut of taps drill bits calipers mics and hand planes but not much of really old interesting stuff ( as expected because if there is a glut of them they would not be interesting )..

I was wondering if there are some great sites or places I could go where unusual items can be found, for example old workshop clearance sites or examples of items you know the names of but dont see many around, I've added a few photos of items I had never heard of until I saw and bought them ;) first is a Febson test indicator, second is a watchmakers hand clamp, oh amd a gem I found and restored.. a Drummond Mk2 hand shaper but tbh after buying 4x lathes built around WW1 and WW2 era plus the shaper I really need to scale down the size lol
20181226_021921.jpg
20190113_122108.jpg
20190113_205118.jpg
20190109_133248.jpg
20190113_122926.jpg
20190113_203832.jpg
20181226_021921.jpg

Yes.i'd hurt myself grabbing my back pocket..

Yes.i'd hurt myself grabbing my back pocket..
lol I nearly knocked the guy out throwing my money at him! , a lucky thing is that he said he found the vice that was made for the mk2 only a week before I bought it from him, the vice isnt in the photo but when in the shed later ill get a pic of it on the shapers bed, the moveable jaw isnt sqare at the back so you can angle it slightly, this would help holding a piece to be worked on that isnt perfectly square, there are better ways now but it was designed and built just after WW1

the Drummond vice which either came with the shaper or could be ordered as an accessory
20190114_042133.jpg

I love that old stuff . I have my late uncle's fathers tools stashed away in a 1917 and 1936 Gerstner box . I find that for some reason the tool steel just looks so much better than these days . Maybe it's just me as my eyes are becoming vintage each and every day .

nope the steel looked a lot better in the past, now everything seems to be chrome vanadium or too polished, apart from hss though, that stuff still looks and works a lot better than the old carbon steel stuff

Back