Small boring bar w/inserts for Atlas 6" ??...

56type

Registered
Registered
Been looking around for a boring bar that uses the carbide insert that will fit the lantern style tool holders on the Atlas 6" 10100 Mk2... Anyone aware of any ??

Buddy can me a piece of round stock that was used to hold the pulleys in place on a cable style car lift in his shop. Not sure what type of steel or hardness level but HSS doesn't seem to like it, though it cuts easily enough with a hacksaw. Had one of the carbide insert kits that I picked up from Harbor Freight so I gave it a try and the carbide seems to cut it just fine. Got it faced off and made a clean-up cut on the O.D. but after using a cobalt 1/2" bit to get a hole started on center I realized I didn't have a boring bar that will let me get to the finished hole I.D. that I'm going to need (making some cat's head type collars to set up an odd shaped piece in the 4-jaw & steady rest.). Thanks.

For a lathe such as you have, I think you would be better served by HSS tools for the most part,

Greetings 56type, i too have an Atlas 618 and use carbide inserts on a regular basis. For a boring bar you might want to check out a S10K SCLCR 06 Style. It uses ccmt 060202 inserts, or you can also use ccgt inserts made to cut aluminum that also work great on steel.
As far as HSS goes, if you can hacksaw the metal you should have no problem turning or boring with HSS.

I’d consider going with a QCTP. That would open up the ability to not only use carbide insert tooling. Also you can still use your HSS tools also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greetings 56type, i too have an Atlas 618 and use carbide inserts on a regular basis. For a boring bar you might want to check out a S10K SCLCR 06 Style. It uses ccmt 060202 inserts, or you can also use ccgt inserts made to cut aluminum that also work great on steel.
As far as HSS goes, if you can hacksaw the metal you should have no problem turning or boring with HSS.

exactly what he said. CCMT for roughing cuts in steel, CCGT for finishing cuts in steel and any type of cut in alu or plastic. I very rarely use HSS any more, just for special profiles or one off jobs.

I agree with jdedmon91 - a QCTP would be a very good idea for holding a boring bar, or any other lathe tool for that matter. Not sure how rigid a lantern tool post will be if you use a carbide bar in it.

How deep and how big a hole do you need? I'm sure you're aware that this determines the bar material and size you need.

The lantern tool post is a very ridged and versatile tool post, the only downside is the time it takes to switch tools. I personally prefer the 4 or 2-way tool post, by far the most ridged. Just a sorta of humble opinion.

I have used small boring bars in my lantern tool post. Seemed to work just fine other than the hassle of the setup. Here is how I held them in the tool post.

IMG_3627.JPG

Back