Small cal. Smoothbore

ELHEAD

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A few pics of a hare-brained project. Maybe a squirrel gun. .27 cal (bored and reamed .22) . Salvaged Mossberg barrel I have had laying around for years. Lock is handmade patterned from a Japanese lock from the 70's. Stock will be walnut, not the poplar 2x4 as seen in pic.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Now this could get interesting... :)

It has been test fired w/ 2 22LR cases of BP and one measure of #7 1/2 shot.For a smooth bore that has not been polished out I thought it patterned well enough to take tree rats, one of our biggest nuisances here, if you can ignore the crows, and the deer, and the coons, and rhe rabbits, and the voles.

If it's really 27 bore then number 4 buckshot can be loaded in her. They're about 224 diameter with a patch your set squirrel gun most beautiful . About ten grains of 3f black powder to start . I'd bet thirty grains will be a great round for out to thirty yards . I always wanted a 32- 36 cal plus 28 bore shotgun BP. I hunted from 7 years old never missed a season .after forty years I just stopped with regular and went black powder for all. Small game I only used the 28 gauge Remington semi .

Update on the smoothie. And yes it is reamed to .2700. Progress is slow as I am remodel kitchen mode. Got to keep my sweetheart happy.
image.jpeg

Back