Small clamps?

imagineer

Registered
Registered
Among the various items from my father’s workshop, was one vintage Craftsman toolbox containing measurement tools; Calipers, Micrometers, Gauge blocks and Pins, etc.

I found these two small clamps in one of the drawers. They’re about 4” long and have 4486 stamped onto one side each. I get it that they’re clamps, but given the small size, what would have been the use for these?

clamps.jpg

They are parallel clamps that can be used on everything . They are not small either , they go down to 1 inch . :grin:

I have four small aluminum C clamps that I use fairly often. They range from 5/8" throat, 7/8" opening to 1-1/4" throat, 1-3/8
opening and are made from 1/2" stock. I use them for holding small pieces together while I drill mating holes, for work stops on my vise when machining multiple pieces amongst other things. They are perhaps the most used clamps in my shop.
C Clamps .JPG

I like the toolmaker’s parallel clamps because they are narrow, have a long reach, and can exert surprising leverage.

I have two pairs of different size small parallel clamps. They come in very handy when it's necessary to hold some odd shaped pieces for milling. One of those kinds of things that is not needed often, but when you do need them, they'll save boatloads of time and frustration.

Regards

I have a pair of them that I made in high school back in the early 1960s, I use them fairly often, handy when one needs to get into tight quarters.

Now knowing what these are, I'll have to scour the internet because I can't see how these small clamps could used for part holding during machining.

We Made one in high school shop, just bar stock and NO heat treat.

Bars were made 5 inches long if that and the screws were maybe 5/16.

For demonstration we would fold a penny in 1/2 then flatten the fold.

They have great amout of power, good for holding assorted things to something else.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back