Small clamps?

I have four small aluminum C clamps that I use fairly often. They range from 5/8" throat, 7/8" opening to 1-1/4" throat, 1-3/8
opening and are made from 1/2" stock. I use them for holding small pieces together while I drill mating holes, for work stops on my vise when machining multiple pieces amongst other things. They are perhaps the most used clamps in my shop.
View attachment 432047
I’ve got the same set, had for longer than I can guess. I do recall that they were sold by X-Acto as modeling C-Clamps, and I thought they claimed to be made out of Magnesium (they are really light).

While I don’t use often, they are very handy, and there are times I wish I had a second set since you usually need to use in matched pairs. I guess I should add to my list for Cabin Fever.

Now knowing what these are, I'll have to scour the internet because I can't see how these small clamps could used for part holding during machining.
See this post for some examples of how 4” parallel & even smaller Kant-Twist clamps can be used: Small Clamps in Use

I’ve got the same set, had for longer than I can guess. I do recall that they were sold by X-Acto as modeling C-Clamps, and I thought they claimed to be made out of Magnesium (they are really light).

While I don’t use often, they are very handy, and there are times I wish I had a second set since you usually need to use in matched pairs. I guess I should add to my list for Cabin Fever.
I believe you're correct. I bought a bunch of Exacto tools at the time. I bought mine in the art department at the University Book Store in Madison, WI some time before 1970. I believe you're correct about the magnesium as well. I measured the average density of the clamps at 2.47 g/cc. Considering the screws are steel and that aluminum has a density of 2.7 g/cc and magnesium is 1.74, the smoking gun points to magnesium.

I believe you're correct. I bought a bunch of Exacto tools at the time. I bought mine in the art department at the University Book Store in Madison, WI some time before 1970. I believe you're correct about the magnesium as well. I measured the average density of the clamps at 2.47 g/cc. Considering the screws are steel and that aluminum has a density of 2.7 g/cc and magnesium is 1.74, the smoking gun points to magnesium.
Timing sounds about right, I probably got mine in the early 80’s. Material also checks: steel screw, swivel looks to be Aluminum (no oxidation) and body has light oxidation, so a different material.

Couldn’t find on eBay, Etsy or any of the model making sites.

I kind of like Kant twist better, but both have their place. I use these 3/4" ones a lot

Attachments

• IMG_0004[1].JPG
    IMG_0004[1].JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 8
I kind of like Kant twist better, but both have their place. I use these 3/4" ones a lot
The 1" are as small as I have, and I agree they are handy. The best feature the Kant-Twist clamps have is being able to locate them so that the handle doesn't get in the way.

Clamps for clamping work!
View attachment 432059
A perfect example John. I have even used 2 pair to make a temporary vice on my table. I used one to clamp the other to the table and put the work on the one that was being held down. I agree they have awesome clamping power. I have some that got bent by heating and falling to the floor and I need to drill the bent screws out and make new ones. In my opinion you never have too many clamps or too many types. I have everything from Vice Grip style clamps to cheap H/F mini-CEE clamps and go up from there. I have one Bessy Brand that I paid over $50 for 20+ years ago.

I have four small aluminum C clamps that I use fairly often. They range from 5/8" throat, 7/8" opening to 1-1/4" throat, 1-3/8
opening and are made from 1/2" stock. I use them for holding small pieces together while I drill mating holes, for work stops on my vise when machining multiple pieces amongst other things. They are perhaps the most used clamps in my shop.
View attachment 432047
RJ I am curious as to how you staked or hold the screw to the aluminum foot. I am assuming you can crank the screw in or out and hold the foot in position.

The pad has a counterbore. After the screw was inserted, the end was swaged to expant the tip and hold the screw captive. The pattern indicated that the swage punch had a cross shaped tip, like a Phillips screwdriver with the very top flattened. I suspect that there was some kind of jig used to hold the swage and a press was used.

The pad has a counterbore. After the screw was inserted, the end was swaged to expant the tip and hold the screw captive. The pattern indicated that the swage punch had a cross shaped tip, like a Phillips screwdriver with the very top flattened. I suspect that there was some kind of jig used to hold the swage and a press was used.
The punch probably looked something like this:

Offset Inside Punch.png

Back