small CNC mill suggestions

sgisler

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
hi, I've been registered on this forum for a year or more and this weekend got an email that I 'haven't been heasrd from yet'. So, thanks for the nudge, it has spurred me on to ask this question:
What small CNC would you reccomend?

To give the question some context, I am a hobby user, doing mostly my own gun work as well as some payiong jobs. I have a SB 10k and one of the chinese minimills (Cummings). I have looked at Syil, Tormach, Micro Kinetics, etc.
There seems to be a lot of machines in this class, so I'm hoping that some of you have direct experiance with some of them.
Thanks in advance, Stan

Apparently not. I think we are mostly manual-centric here.

Not usually PC to direct one to another forum, but after 3 days of no replies I think it appropriate:

Of course there is CNCZone,
PM has a pretty good CNC subforum, more aimed toward production. They aren't polite to hobbyists, but the gunsmith subforum has some good people.
Yahoo has several CNC groups. I'd also search the Yahoo groups for machine-specific groups.

hi and welcome
I have a sherline cnc mill and lathe the work you are doing already is too much for them steel takes forever due to rigidy
my planned build is a zx45 ( from wholesale tools $1800.00 )and cnc it myself I dont have any experence with the x2 or x3 but from what i have read for my needs i'm going as big as i can for as little as possible
I know thats not a lot of help except dont go sherline for steel they are great learning machines but too light
steve

DIGI0077.JPG

I never seen this post in new posts
did it just show up after 3 days?
steve

Thanks for the replies. I was beginng to wonder if I'd done something to offend. JK :)

But thanks for the info on the other sites as well AR1911 (two of my favorites by the way). I think i've cruised thru some of them before, so another look is warranted.

jumps4, I know what you mean. I looked at the Sherlines myself before settling on the Cummings minimill. I've been surprised by what it will do, have actually done quite a bit of stainless on it. Just am wanting a bigger work envelope and would really like the accuracy, repeatability and 3d profiling capabilities of CNC. (I know, a machinist worth his salt should be able to pull off accuracy and repeatability. i guess im saying im basically lazy :)))

Thanks again!

A lot of fellows are doing a DIY CNC using Gecko controllers, Kelling motors and Mach 3 software. From what I have seen they work out great. My cnc Plasma is a torchmate propriatary machine, but the principle is exactly the same. If you need help getting started on a CNC conversion, let me know where your at in the process and I will help you get to the end. It's not as hard as it looks, especially once you have done a lil bit o studyin. LMK if you would like some help or guidance on the project, it will be like doing another machine for me. Have fun and don't forget the pics as you go too.
Bob

Thanks Bob,
I have thought about doing that, just talked myself out of it for all the other ufinished projects I have. I may need to look harder at it though. Off the top of your head, what would it take, $wise, to convert say an X3 class machine?

Stan

I've just completed the conversion of my SX3 mill. I used a plug and play approach with components from Soigeneris and CNC Fusion. If I had been converting an X3 there would have been no modification to the machine at all, but the SX3 did require a small amount of modification to the sheet metal surrounding the mill electronics.

CNC Fusion Deluxe kit can be seen here: http://www.cncfusion.com/smallmill1.html $969.00
Soigeneris supplied me with the power supply/control electronics (including USB Smoothstepper) and stepper motors. http://www.soigeneris.com/STDR_4C-details.aspx $1024.50

The SX3 cost me about $1500.

I'm happy as a clam with the mill - it's a real pleasure to use.

If you look into the CNC fusion videos, you should know that the product has moved on from the one shown in those vids. The build quality of the bits he supplies is first class.

Soigeneris supplied the steppers with cables prewired and I didn't so much as lift a soldering iron.

You can do it cheaper, but this way was just so easy.

the zx45 list i have made up is as follows ( work envelope x21 y12 z18 )
new mill 1800
3 axis kit 2-1600oz/in and 1-4200oz/in for z,
3 controllers, breakout board and the power supplies 896
ball screws and nuts x3 411
oiler 51
3 shaft couplings 30
estop 2fans 6 limit switches 47
smooth stepper board 165
terminal board 30
usb cable 5
coolant pump system 152
vfd and 3phase motor 275
total $3865.00
add gecko drives for 4 axis's (not required) 539
total $4455.00

this mill is on ebay cnced for about $8500 and the motors are only 800 oz/in at 100 ipm max
see ebay 320641112681 note they only powered the quill not the column z is under 5"
with the larger stepper motors i'll use and direct drive it will do 300 ipm easy with the smooth stepper
with no repeatability problems
I am not a know it all this is simply my research . I hope this helps you also
steve

Back