small drill press motor problem

Dave you can always verify with an ohmmeter, just to be sure.

David

Dave, are you sure in ALL YOUR PILES you do not have a meter that reads capacitance? Most modern digital multimeters have that function. If you don’t have one, they are cheap enough and should fit in a cubbyhole space on your bench:)…Dave

Dave, are you sure in ALL YOUR PILES you do not have a meter that reads capacitance? Most modern digital multimeters have that function. If you don’t have one, they are cheap enough and should fit in a cubbyhole space on your bench:)…Dave
Dave--I have at least 5 or six analog meters and at least 8 of the free HF digital ones and they were not in any of my piles---I did need to put new batteries in my analog meters to check the capacitor--I knew the capacitor was no good, but I didn't know if the motor may have also had problems---all my other used fractional motors with capacitors were all a lot higher microfarads so I am ordering an 18uf one now---even though I'm sure somewhere in all my electrical piles I have some capacitors--this is when being unorganized is frustrating--I am only 74 so I have a long time left to get organized, I'm working daily on it so am gaining---Dave

Dave--I have at least 5 or six analog meters and at least 8 of the free HF digital ones and they were not in any of my piles---I did need to put new batteries in my analog meters to check the capacitor--I knew the capacitor was no good, but I didn't know if the motor may have also had problems---all my other used fractional motors with capacitors were all a lot higher microfarads so I am ordering an 18uf one now---even though I'm sure somewhere in all my electrical piles I have some capacitors--this is when being unorganized is frustrating--I am only 74 so I have a long time left to get organized, I'm working daily on it so am gaining---Dave
Dave, if the HF digital is what I’m thinking of, then sorry, it’s one of the few digitals that cannot test for capacitance. And if you are working on cleaning up your piles? You are way ahead of me! I’m not gaining, the piles are winning! Good Luck…Dave

Last edited:
Dave it's probably a run capacitor to have a value that small. And it's probably a permanent split-cap type (also called capacitor run) motor; no centrifugal start switch inside
Mark

I finally got back to replacing the run capacitor today and the drill runs good--Dave

Back