Small Drillpress Vise prints

hdskip

Active User
Registered
This is a project that my high school precision machining students are required to make. Material is 12L14 for vise jaws and end plate, 0-1 drill for guide rods, and 12Ll14 for lead screw. Made to tolerance it finishes nicely and functions well.

vvtcvise1.JPGvvtcvise2.JPGvvtcvise3.JPGvvtcvise4.JPGvvtcvise5.JPG

vvtcvise1.JPG vvtcvise2.JPG vvtcvise3.JPG vvtcvise4.JPG vvtcvise5.JPG

What machines are they allowed to use? Lathe & mill?

At this point they can use lathe and mills. Threads are cut on the lathe. Parts aren't heat treated.
After this project we'll start surface grinding and be introduced to CNC programming. Most of these students will be working in local shops after graduation in June. The employers will continue their training.
Gary

At this point they can use lathe and mills. Threads are cut on the lathe. Parts aren't heat treated.
After this project we'll start surface grinding and be introduced to CNC programming. Most of these students will be working in local shops after graduation in June. The employers will continue their training.
Gary

Glad to learn their training will continue after graduation. Seems like every shop I worked had their own practices due to different shop equipment. One shop I worked in did center-less grinding and turret lathe production.

The BEST to your students.

it's a good thing that your state does the real leg work we will need these people down the road, here most of the shop classes have been scraped in favor of feeling good about yourself. I never quite figured that one out, but who's to question those very smart people, making those really stupid desisions. goes to show that you can not fix stupid

I sure do hope they are able to find work. It seems like all the manual labor jobs that can be shipped overseas have been. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy though - skilled labor is useless because there are no jobs here. There are no jobs here because there is a shortage of skilled labor.

I'd love to see manufacturing return to the US.

I'm seeing a lot of company's bringing back machining to this country. Sad part we've lost a generation and a half of training and now we're trying to play catch up. We're also struggling with the fact that you can't train a machinist in 6 months. Our apprenticeship in my state is 8,000 hours. That and reeducating the public that skilled labor is not only OK but profitable.
Gary

I'm seeing a lot of company's bringing back machining to this country. Sad part we've lost a generation and a half of training and now we're trying to play catch up. We're also struggling with the fact that you can't train a machinist in 6 months. Our apprenticeship in my state is 8,000 hours. That and reeducating the public that skilled labor is not only OK but profitable.
Gary

Gary,

They expect skilled tradespeople to be trained overnight to fill the void. My generation is or about to retire. I don't think shops will be willing to retrain us to program CNC equipment like this generation. This generation is more computer savvy than mine. DRO's were a big leap forward for us.

- - - Updated - - -

Gary

I was researching tool-die apprenticeship programs. When they shipped production overseas most of the die making shops closed soon afterwards. I was in GE's last apprenticeship program, just short nine months from graduation, when they closed the program about 1985. The reason they told us they could hire journeymen off the street cheaper than they paid us to learn.

Back