Small Lathe

View attachment 340499

I think this is the crank from watching the video.

Lathe arrives later this week so I will know then.

That is the lead screw crank.

The current threading attachment is turned by its own crank, and the motor needs to be disconnected when in use.

1602871017535.png

While there are likely some differences, Sherline has kept the current model largely compatible with the older ones, the motor being one of the major changes. If you need instructions they have them online for download. While yours might not be 100% compatible with every product I've found Sherline's customer service to be very good, and they can probably help you out in regards to what fits and what doesn't.

Sherline accessory instructions

Thanks, I have already sent off what I know about it to sherline and asked what they have alaibale so if those ports exist I will buy them.

So this mean to cut threads you do it by hand? Interesting, that would be hard work I imagine.

Does the sewing machine motor need a special kind of speed control ? Sorry if it's shown in the video , the filters block all of them here at work
Yes, I believe so, my friend will be able to assist me with this. I will update with what I find out.

You do know that “sherline” is Latin for “gateway”, right?

Tom

Well all the new Sheline stuff is still compatible. So I guess I might as well deck this little guy out.

I got this running with 10x rubber bands.

I burnt out my rotary tool while building my new Rock Tumbler, it had a variable speed controller so I used that to control the speed of the Shirline.

unnamed-1.jpg

The sewing machine motor is pretty weak( very weak ) at low(ish) RPMS so I see a upgrade coming at some point.

Hi Paul,
That is pretty, what stain did you use? You may have noticed the height of the lathe is recommended to be such that you don't have to bend over while operating it. Are you going to make wood legs?
There is some red oak stain under my lathe. I put Varithane over that in order to wipe up oil easier. After 4 years it seems to still be working OK.
Have a good day
Ray

Back