Small Lathe

Hi Ray, this was the stain. It is now drying with clear varnish.

As for the height, that rack is just a drying rack, the board is to mount the lath then it will be placed on a bench, it's mounted to the board so I can move the whole lathe around quickly when required. On the same work bench my Chinese mini will also be mounted but that will be bolted to the bench.

IMG_1941.jpg

This lathe has a brass bed, I cleaned it up and it looks really nice. Moves really smooth now aswell.

IMG_1944.jpgIMG_1945.jpg

I have now mounted the lathe, painted the speed control box. I don't have a 3 jaw chuck ( yet ). I found a large nut and there is the first go.

Nice job.
Looks like a Mighty little lathe.

Impressive!
Did your lathe come with centers for the tail stock and head stock ? You no doubt took very light cuts which requires a lot of patience. I was taught that long pieces should be supported by the tail stock to avoid damage to the machine and maintain accuracy.
Have a good day
Ray

Hi Rock, Yes it came with a talk stock as well. I did take small cuts but it's pretty surprising how it feels. It did not feel risky or like it was going to fly out or jerk to hard when I took a cut. I was in a rush to test it out. What I will do is set it backup and do my best to center the piece and then do a little video. Maybe I am patient but it didn't feel too bad/slow. Having said that I have nothing to make and am just testing it out.

I have been using this lathe a bit and I purchased a small DC motor with a worm drive reduction gearbox and machined a bush to fit ont he shaft and used one of the gears on the thread cutting attachment.

Back