[4]

Small metal planer in CA

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
Nice machine and size too. He's done some work getting it down to just doing the ways , be great for a scrapping class project. I own a smaller one and can't wait to get out and work on it. It's killing me this spine trouble I have. You have to love old machines to own them with care.

vtcnc

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
No bids. Ended today. Wish I had the room and wasn’t 3,000 miles away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eeler1

Dang, buggered that up too!!
relisted at $250, if someone had room it would be an interesting project

eeler1

and had the time

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Somebody (not me) should buy that planer. It sure looks restorable in the pics.

toploader

Registered
Registered
Hmmm... A planer is on my bucket list of items I want. I'm only 12 hours away and I have the cash. But space is getting tight with the horizontal boring mill going into the shop.

cjtoombs

Active User
Registered
Yea, If I had the room I would have bought it. I already have two planers that are projects, one that size, one a bit bigger. I think the only thing that planer really needs is reassembled and a motor drive built for it. Planers tend to wear evenly on the platen ways, and scoring won't hurt the ways much (it's not like you are going to scrape deep enough to get rid of the scoring anyway). I hope someone besides the scrappers get it. At 250, it's starting to look like it could get scrapped.

cjtoombs

Active User
Registered
I just bought it for 255. I don't know where the hell I'm going to put it. I think I may strip it down partialy, clean up the bare metal surfaces and paint them over with epoxy primer and leave it outside till I get time to do something with it.

toploader

Registered
Registered
Glad it went to a board member. I was contemplating bidding on it as well.

eeler1

Where's Ridgecrest? I may want to borrow it after it's up and running.

cjtoombs

Active User
Registered
Where's Ridgecrest? I may want to borrow it after it's up and running.
Lol, About 100 miles from anything but coyotes, creosote bushes and road runners.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
looks like outside exposure to the salt air may have had an effect.
I am pretty sure the same planer was a give away 2-3 years ago, the seller tried to sell it for a few hundred, IIRC, and finally just said "take it away." I guess it gained value sitting out in the rain, mud, and sun since then. If you look at the seller's other ads, he is a dealer...

toploader

Registered
Registered
That ones in rough shape

cjtoombs

Active User
Registered
if anybody felt like they missed out on this one, all is not lost;

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/for/d/metal-planer-powell-machine/6568466743.html

looks like outside exposure to the salt air may have had an effect.
I made this guy a reasonable offer for that machine about a year ago, and was turned down. Unless you want to give that 1000 dollars (which I don't think that machine is worth) then don't bother calling him. I offered 600, which I think is quite a fair price for that machine. I figure about scrap metal price on the ground is more than fair for machines in that bad of shape. That way you are paying close to bottom dollar and the seller doesn't have to worry about you scrapping it, since by the time you get it to the breaker, you will have lost the transport cost.

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
That one will really need a dedicated person to get it back to useable condition. About a thousand plus hrs. And another $5k in parts and special operations. She's really a boat anchor almost.

Norseman C.B.

Registered
Registered
Almost, a boat anchor ??? I believe in restoring old iron but the cost of doing that one
would be like pizzin in the wind..........JMO.........

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I'm local and saw this several months ago and he was asking $2,000. Even posted the same picture in the forum somewhere. I'm glad someone on the forum got it and for a much more reasonable price IMHO. When I saw it, it was only on the local CL for a couple of days and I speculated it had been bought by a collector. It also didn't have that extensive description which CL doesn't seem to make folks worry about like eBay does. But I could guess it had to need some work being that old and I don't have the space or the time. Luckily it wasn't that price or I would have bit off more than I could chew.

Congrats cjtoombs and best of luck!

cjtoombs

Active User
Registered
Well, I got it home. I'll post some pics, I'll probably start a new thread in the Antique machinery forum for this.

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I hope to see an update soon as to the actual condition of the machine. I know little to nothing of planers so anything you post will be informative. I hope it turns out to be in good condition, good enough to use anyway.

[6]
[5] [7]