Small mill

Submachine

Registered
Registered
I have limited ability to move a Bridgeport into my basement. I want the most powerful and feature rich small mill that I can get into my basement. Basement is a walkout, so no stairs. I found this 2HP model. Thoughts?

Midas MI-409MZ Metal Mill

A few more questions:

What's the budget?
Are you only looking at bench top machines?
Would you consider second hand machines, or do you want to buy new?

Budget is max of $5000, but I would prefer a used machine for under $2000. Hard for me to quantize what I need when I am fairly new to this. I can tell you I cut mostly steel and I would like to be able to drill a 1 inch hole easily in mild steel. Not looking for solely benchtops, but I need to be able to wrestle it down a hill and into basement. Most powerful for example would be a 2 horse motor. Feature reach would be include all axis power drive and DRO.

Sounds like you won't have a hard time getting a knee mill (like a Bridgeport) into the basement. Set aside about a grand for hiring riggers and make them deal with it. When dealing with steel, you'll be glad for the extra mass.

Sounds like you won't have a hard time getting a knee mill (like a Bridgeport) into the basement. Set aside about a grand for hiring riggers and make them deal with it. When dealing with steel, you'll be glad for the extra mass.

what type of Bridgeport I should be looking for? I.e. specific models

A J-head Series I should cost around 2k (hopefully less) used for the basic mill and would do the job. Working DRO and axis feeds will bump it up to the 3-5k range, though you can always add those later to save money now. If your 5k is a hard max, then new knee mills are out of the question (see PM's offerings).

I'm sure the Smithy would do the job but it's limited in terms of vertical (Z) travel. It's a bit expensive for what you get, but I have heard good things about Smithy's service after the sale even on older machines, just hold back some money for collets and stuff
Mark

Back